PDA

View Full Version : Orange lily

Nancy Bell
11-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Photographed during the summer in town. We have a wonderful climate here in northern Colorado with over 300 days of sunshine and many buildings have wonderful displays of flowers. I spent several days in town just walking around with my camera, tripod and a small cooler that I used to sit on, set the tripod on, and hold a cold drink! Here I used a very shallow DOF since I wanted to emphasize the absolutely gorgeous colors of these lilies and the lighting. But I still wanted the viewer to have something to focus upon as well as know that this is a flower.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 f2.8 macro lens, 1/2500, f2.8, ISO 800, tripod

Jonathan Ashton
11-16-2014, 10:59 AM
I like the composition and colours, having said that I have a slight reservation over the top right border, I think the wavy line is a little distracting. I would liked to have seen the central lower stamen in sharp focus, having said that I think it is a very eye catching and pleasing image.

Jerry van Dijk
11-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Wow, awesome colors! Almost looks like it's on fire! The stamen add enough interest as a subject. I agree with Jonathans comment on the top right corner. I found that a slight crop from the top (frame edge touching the flower on the point where the right and middle petal meet) already solves most of that problem. For a next time: if you would have chosen a slightly higher stand point and a little bit to the right, you would have caught the stamen with only petals as BG without any edges.

Steve Maxson
11-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Beautiful, somewhat abstract looking colors and the sharp anthers really make the image work! The top edge of the petal isn't really bothering me - different strokes and all that. :S3: Very nicely done!

BenBotha
11-17-2014, 09:29 AM
I like it as it is. The top IMO gives the photo more perspective.
Ben

Nancy Bell
11-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks all for the diversity of opinions :bg3:! I have images with and without the bkgd creeping in. I really could not decided myself if one was better than the other.

Anita Bower
11-23-2014, 06:13 AM
I think I prefer the image you posted later, but this one is also a beauty. Glorious colors. Love the wavy lines. I like your description of how you walk around town--I might try it.