PDA

View Full Version : Snow bunting

Jonathan Ashton
11-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 Auto ISO 400 1/1600 sec f5
An uncommon visitor to our coast this is one of a pair that has been on a local golf course for the past 4 days. Not the best location but I thought it was worth a shot.

Daniel Cadieux
11-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Worth a shot? On the golf course? That image scores yourself a birdie! Sorry, as a bad pun fan I just could not resist.

Nice low angle here, and I like the walking pose. A bit of debris on the bill tells the story of it foraging for food. Was the upslope of the ground natural? Either way you can try a version with the horizon straightened. You could also try a version with the bluish cast removed from the plumage. Good image overall. I just had a blast with a flock of about 100 birds surrounding me a few days ago...lots of fun.

Loi Nguyen
11-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Jonathan, very nice image, love the low shooting angle. Agreed on the CW rotation. Loi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stu Bowie
11-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Hi Jon, great low angle here, and I like the DOF effect in this. Im fine with the OOF FG, but would maybe take a bit off the bottom. Well timed to capture the raised foot, and the dirty beak adds interest.

Satish Ranadive
11-15-2014, 04:58 AM
Magnificent image, Jonathan. Very nice walking pose and beautiful colors.

Regards,
Satish.

Joseph Przybyla
11-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Lovely image Jonathan, interesting what you find on a golf course. Thank you for sharing.

keith mitchell
11-15-2014, 07:30 AM
Jonathan it's usually sand or snow never seen on a golf course, nice to see a bird with a few feathers out of place which is the way we normally see them and does give us a clue what the bird is doing, very nice different shot.

Keith.

Norm Dulak
11-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Very nice Jon. It's interesting what one can find in diverse venues.

I think if it were mine, I might crop a little off the left, and perhaps a little more off the right, to better emphasize your interesting subject.

BTW, why were you on a golf course? Did you have your camera around your neck while you were swinging a golf club? If so, did you get a birdie? :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
11-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone, much appreciated. Yes I got the birdie, I forgot to mention an eagle and albatross also flew by:w3
It was fro some reason a tricky one to process the sun was coming from the wron direction. I hadn't noticed the image was a bit cock-eyed nor did I notice the cyan, a little off the base helps and so does a tighter crop - so thanks again.

John Robinson
11-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Not a bird I,ve done John but one day.
Agree about levelling and taking a bit off.
John