PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly nymph

Steve Maxson
11-14-2014, 05:40 PM
This is an early instar of one of the large Darner dragonflies (Aeshna sp.) and is a species I have not captured previously. The substrate is a piece of waterlogged tree bark - algae covered on one side and having interesting patterns on the other side. In contrast to other Darner nymphs I have photographed, this species preferred to be motionless on the shaded side of the bark. I'm thinking that these might be nocturnal predators that hide during the day. 2.5 gal aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/160, f/16, ISO 320, 2 radio-triggered 430EX flashes (diffused), tripod, live-view manual focus. I removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran NR on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

John Robinson
11-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Another nice aquatic job Steve
Tried a landscape ???? Maybe would sit betterto the eye. . Just a thought
John

Steve Maxson
11-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Tried a landscape ???? Maybe would sit betterto the eye. . Just a thought
John

Thanks for the comment, John. I did try rotating the image - for the reason you suggest. It didn't look quite right to me - so I decided to stick with the original vertical comp. (Though a landscape view would seem to be a more typical orientation.) :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
11-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Subtle lighting and good details, what an unusual shaped labial mask (hope that is the correct term!), I think you have captured a very natural looking image.

MiroslavMaric
11-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi Steve. Great macro shot. Like the light, color tone and sharp details. Regarding orientation I'm with John. TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Nancy Bell
11-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Awesome front view of this critter with those two large widespread eyes staring at you! I do find that I am titling my head to view this and agree with those opting for a horizontal format. I very much like the details of the substrate and that the orientation lines mimic the orientation lines of the nymph. Good natural interplay of browns and greens with just the proper amt of lighting to highlight the nymph and foreground.

Steve Maxson
11-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the comments! By popular demand, here is the rotated version for comparison. :S3:

Nancy Bell
11-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Much better. It is like something weird created for a science fiction movie!

Jerry van Dijk
11-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Awesome capture Steve, all good points that make this such a strong image have already mentioned above. I slightly prefer the landscape version, because I find I can better focus on all those wonderful details, and the eye contact works better when the eyes are horizontal.

John Robinson
11-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Much better !
John

Ron Conlon
11-21-2014, 09:47 AM
I love both, but I find it interesting how much more comfortable we are with the landscape view--something about those big eyes and our own psychology I guess. Another wonderful waterworld photo.

Anita Bower
11-23-2014, 06:17 AM
Wonderful image. I like how the colors of tree, critter, water blend nicely with each other.
I miss posting on this forum, but I keep adding textures to my macro images, which bumps me into OOTB, another nice forum.

Jackie Schuknecht
11-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Stunning capture. Like the original!