PDA

View Full Version : Grass stink bug

Charles Jorgensen
11-14-2014, 02:31 PM
I captured this image of a grass stink bug next to a pond near my home. The bg is grass and sky. Cropped to about 70% of original image with a bit of sharpening and noise reduction in lightroom.

Canon 7d, EF 100mmm f 2.8L, 1/200sec @ f11, iso 800

John Robinson
11-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Nice detail on the frontal area Charles. Sideways on I reckon you need more than f11 at this mag. Superb backdrop. Maybe back on would be good. Looks like one of our shield bugs.
Cheers
John

Jonathan Ashton
11-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Lovely shot, nice colours and exposure, just a tad short on DOF but a pleasing well detailed image.

Nancy Bell
11-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Very good composition with the two vertical lines of vegetation plus the vertical orientation of the stink bug. I like that the lower line of vegetation is plain, allowing the viewer to really enjoy those interesting shapes and details of the second piece of vegetation. Good details on the stink bug. I would consider removing the glare just in the eye by making those parts a little darker. Nice soft background colors that go very well with the main subjects.

Jerry van Dijk
11-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Very nice capture, I like all the details on the bug and the focus on the eye (given the slightly shallow DOF). Wonderful background to complement the bug, but I'm a bit distracted by the somewhat messy perch, which I think is a bit overpowering the subject.

Steve Maxson
11-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Hi Charles and welcome to the Macro Forum! Very interesting patterns on your subject. Also, nice light, good sharpness within your DOF, an excellent background, the perch adds interest (IMO), and the diagonals of the comp are a plus. I'd be tempted to clone some of the specular highlights on the legs. This is a strong image and I look forward to seeing more of your work here in Macro!