PDA

View Full Version : Once There Were Yellow Fields

Bill Jobes
05-25-2008, 03:49 AM
This flowering field at Bombay Hook was awash in yellow and white on Friday.

Canon 1Ds Mark III
Canon 16-36 II at 16 mm
1/320
F-9
ISO 500

Comments and critiques enthusiastically welcomed.

-Bill Jobes

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi Bill,
That's some bloom! The colors of the sky look a little off (greenish) and could use some darkening overall to add more impact. While the FG is very nice overall.........my eye is wandering for a center of interest in it. Something in the FG to ground us there would have helped ground us there.

Bill Jobes
05-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks Roman ... I couldn't agree more with your observations.
I think the sky may have shifted with the image overall when I converted to srgb in Photoshop for the downsizing to web dimensions.
I don't know if that's a common occurrence, but I noticed it then, and almost recalled the image for tweaking.
The foreground observation is also a good one.
I literally sat in the field, hoping the out-of-focus foreground flowers would provide that sense of perspective, but admittedly, it's kind of weak.
The magnificence of the yellows kind of hypnotized me, and next time I'll spend more time trying to optimize the experience.
Funny think, I drove past that field early in the day, and didn't notice anything particularly remarkable about it.
The afternoon sun must have inspired the blossoms to open wide.
And, after all, it IS about the light, isn't it?

Robert Amoruso
05-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I think you guys covered the bases well. Another thing you could try is getting real low and do some macros and limited DOF studies on the flowers.

Bill Jobes
05-25-2008, 11:14 PM
That's an excellent suggestion, Robert.
I did take some close-ups with the 16-35.
I'll review them, and if any are worthwhile, I'll post one.

-Bill