PDA

View Full Version : Ele from Down Under - Mana Pools

Douglas Bolt
11-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Canon 7DM1, Canon 70-200 f4@6.3, 1/1000, ISO 640, FF, HH from on foot. PP: Bridge/CC. Interesting position from which to view an elephant.

Rachel Hollander
11-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Hi Douglas - For me this is all about the trunk and I find the slope distracting. I would crop it tighter from the bottom to just below the chin, losing the slope. Nice detail and texture. There's a halo along the top of the elephant.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
11-13-2014, 08:49 AM
A very interesting shot, I too noticed something along the tip of the trunk but I think it is hairs. Is there a line of them that also go down the trunk?

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Douglas, I like the raised trunk, the image offers a good view of the mouth, the trunk and tusks. The eye too is nice and clear. I would crop from below to just under the ear.

Mark Needham
11-14-2014, 09:00 PM
I like the raised trunk and angle of the image, but I too find the prominent slope to be very distracting. Do you have any more images of the same pose, but taken perhaps a few seconds later with more of the ele's head and less slope showing? The bright branch "growing" out of the ele's neck is also drawing my eye away from the main theme of the image, so I would remove that.

Andre Pretorius
11-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi Doug

Agree with slope, I would crop at "V", clone in skin at bit of slope and remove "V". Adds more drama to image.

Andreas Liedmann
11-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi Douglas , i am fine with the crop and i like the low POV and look up .
Only the twigs of grass are somehow kind of distracting . Overall a tad light .

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
11-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Dear Douglas,

I find this POV quite interesting and the main crit I have goes to the ear which has been slightly cut off (LHS). Lovely colours and tones and I like the pink tongue, it draws the eye. Sharpness is there where needed, perhaps a tad more detail on the mouth would not hurt, but now I am nit-picking:w3

Nice to see you experimenting and posting something different, well done Douglas and I am looking forward to more!

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
11-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Cool perspective, I have a similar image from a little to your right, Doug.
I support the call for a closer crop and notice some halos as mentioned. Old Fred Astaire was pretty obliging later that afternoon, eh... :D