PDA

View Full Version : 5th November Fireworks

Charleen Ratcliff
11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Hello everyone!

On 'Guy Fawkes' night last week, I thought I would go out and try, for the first time, to attempt to photograph fireworks. Had all my gear; tripod, remote release, settings done in camera D7100, lens Nikkor 24-85....off I go (forgot gloves and glasses)!

So after setting up and getting focused on where I believed the display would be happening (Kendal Castle, Kendal Cumbria)...I was ready! First few shots were grey and white blobs...then I realised that I and the remote were responsible for exposure (bulb)...and after that it got better....well, tell me what you think! Not knowing really what I was doing, am rather pleased with most of the shots (they are on my website...http://charleenratcliffphotography.zenfolio.com )

But here is one I like!
Focal length: 85 /170; ISO 100; exposure 0.4s at f/13; centre weighted average - your comments are most welcomed! :bg3:

Diane Miller
11-12-2014, 07:13 PM
This is wonderful!! You got an additional unexpected blur in addition to the movement of the fireworks, which is very cool. From your 85/170 designation, I assume it is zoom blur? I like that the burst is off-center and filling a lot of the frame.

You might consider cloning out the two tiny spots on the left edge and top left corner, and the one streak that almost touches the left edge.

Charleen Ratcliff
11-13-2014, 04:31 AM
Thanks for your feedback. The 85/170 was just to show the equivalent range with the cropped sensor and camera setup. Whereas I did do 'fast' in and out zooms, don't know if this was one of those shots.

I don't know enough about PP - just learning LR now! but take on board you comments!!

Thanks again!

Diane Miller
11-13-2014, 07:02 PM
OK -- most meaningful is to list the lens, including its focal length range, and then give the focal length used with something like "crop factor" mentioned.

I have some basic Lightroom tutorials on my web site, which lay the groundwork for how it's used. They're old but the ideas still apply: http://www.dianedmiller.com/tutorials.html