PDA

View Full Version : Brant Feeding - Intimate View.

Daniel Cadieux
11-10-2014, 08:05 PM
I was lying prone in the mucky stuff when the Brant approached a bit too close so I was not able to manoeuvre too much without risking spooking the little guy. It began feeding on some aquatic plants right in front of me so that was a bonus to see rather than the usual park grasses that I usually observe them munching on. This allowed me to get some tight intimate eye-to-eye views of the behaviour of it tugging on some taller pieces. I have a bit more room above but not the whole bird...I cropped a bit closer to "cut" the black neck area rather than having it "clipped" as it is on the full crop.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld (elbows on the ground), cropped for comp, darkened the pupils, toned down the lower right corner area, removed a bluish cast on parts of the subject.

MiroslavMaric
11-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Hi Daniel! Like POV, moment, BG tone and color. Focus is well placed and all details are sharp. Light is great too. If mine I would try to crop in portrait with a bit more room at the top. TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Rachel Hollander
11-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi Daniel - another fun Brant image with great detail and dof. Nice low pov too. The behavior, of course, makes the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
11-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Hi Dan, Ive gotta try getting down and dirty with my photography as you show here. Sharp and in great focus where it counts, and he certainly is giving you the beady eye. The feeding behaviour adds another notch.

Karl Egressy
11-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Nice close up image of this rare to find Bird, Daniel. The low angle works very well.

Randy Stout
11-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Daniel:

A vertical shot would have been outstanding I think. The well lit greenery really helps lead the eye into the frame, the raised foot is good. Particularly like the leaf which establishes the time of year.

Cheers

Randy

Norm Dulak
11-15-2014, 11:46 AM
This is great, Daniel. While I would have preferred a vertical shot that encompassed more of your subject, you did everything that you could under the circumstances. And the result is of first-rate interest.