PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Beach

James Salywoda
05-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Laguna Beach

I went out this evening hoping for some dramatics for some long exposures because of rain we got for
a good part of the day. But really nothing came about but I liked this shot with the rock formation it had some character....:)

Nikon D300 Tokina 12 24 DX
30s F11 ISO 100

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi James,
The key for these types of images is separation in the rock formations. The larger rock formations on right and left and the whitish area on the bottom left dominate the image. If you look closely at some of the smaller rocks in the scene.......you see the hair effect from the long exposure around the rocks. I've taken this into PS to show the area of more interest...........but even more separation between the formations would be preferable. Keep going out there are trying with those long exposures as late sunset / early sunrise colors would also have a different effect on the same scene.

Harold Davis
05-25-2008, 10:13 AM
i thought it had a strong bluish tone so i color balanced it. i like the wider angle view here myself. i see what roman is saying, but i think to truly capture what he was doing you need to reshoot it.

how's this one roman?:) i know its noisy now due to the resizing, but you get the idea!!

James Salywoda
05-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks Guys for the advice!!!!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi James and Harold,
Harold's fix definitely warmed it up a bit. I was only showing where to concentrate for the next trip out........but I worked on another possible crop using Harold's changes. 3 times of compresiion may not be too good...........but I also ran Noise Ninja on it! Just more ideas!

Harold Davis
05-25-2008, 03:39 PM
i like it roman! that's a little stronger there.

Robert Amoruso
05-25-2008, 07:47 PM
I like Roman's last crop. I think that works really well. Color correction enhances the image as well. The vertical Roman did was a good example of using the FG elements to balance the image and providing depth to it.

Tim Cee
06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Nice capture Jim. I like all the crop versions including the original as I think they all work well in certain ways. Where at in Laguna did you take this?