View Full Version : Whooper Swan

William Dickson
11-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Canon 5D Mkiii
f/4 500mm with 1x4iii
f/5.6
1/2000
ISO 1600

The Whooper Swans have now arrived to winter in Scotland from Iceland.

I managed to capture this one on my recent trip to Speyside

Thanks for having a look

Mike Poole
11-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Can't beat a good flapping shot! I really like the 3/4 angle you've shown here, it keeps the swan from getting too small in the frame as can happen with a straight on shot.

Ideally I would have like a lower POV to really accentuate the size of these birds and maybe move the line of the banking in the background, but I also know thats not possible at all locations.

Best part for me though is the wing position, with the far wing showing all the detail and the near wing framing the head and neck nicely

William Dickson
11-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for that Mike. I got as low as I could (without gettin my feet wet:w3)

I have taken some of the top of the image, what do u think

Mike Poole
11-10-2014, 06:16 PM
I like that RP - taking that top line of the banking off does make a nice difference

Randy Stout
11-10-2014, 06:57 PM
William:

Good comments from Mike. We get a rare whooper here in Michigan, and even have Troopers, a cross of Whoopers and Trumpeters.

The RP is better. The birds right wing really gives one a sense of just how big and powerful they are. I do get the comment about the left wing, would prefer if it was a bit more open.

The details look good, although the breast looks like the effect I get on my whites if I use a bit too much Nik detail extractor to try and tone done the whites.

Hopefully you will have a productive fall and winter season with these wonderful birds.

Cheers

Randy

Ian McHenry
11-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Really like the action and timing of this image.
I do prefer your first post as a large impressive bird like this, to me needs that extra space.
Cheers: Ian Mc

christopher galeski
11-11-2014, 08:59 AM
nice pose,good detail in the whites,sharp,like the repost.

Steve Kaluski
11-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi William, love the overall colour palette and warm tones to the image. Nice to have a bit of action in the wings and I also like the angle too. I think you could just drop the highlights in the chest, some parts are a little 'hot' but I think recoverable.

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
11-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi William, good low angle of capture, and good feather detail showing on the far wing. I agree, having the near wing splayed more open would have been a winner. Your repost works well with the removal of the darker strip on top.

Jim Crosswell
11-11-2014, 01:08 PM
I like the composition in the OP better, the repost is a little too tight for me up top. I like the details in the far wing and the way the wings frame the head. Good exposure control and sharpness. Very well done William.

William Dickson
11-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :S3: For those wanting the left wing more open here is another image. Thanks for having a look

Randy Stout
11-11-2014, 03:28 PM
William:

This one works better for me. The open wing balances better for me, and the better exposure and processing makes the breast look more natural.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
11-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Excellent pose and nice details in the white. The repost is definite improvement. The frame on #11 is nice but I still like the original with the repost the best.

Satish Ranadive
11-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Excellent images with spectacular poses. Great details in whites, nicely pops up against dark waters.
Love the frames.

Regards,
Satish.