PDA

View Full Version : Grey (Southern) Crowned Crane

Loukie Viljoen
05-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Taken at Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary in Pretoria, indigenous people called it a "Mahem" from it's trumpeting flight call.

2008:04:16 08:37:35
300mm
1/8000 sec, f/5.6
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -2/3
ISO: 640
Flash: Off
File size: 177KB
Image size: 800 x 523
Color space: sRGB
Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Canon 1D MK III, 300mm f2.8

Daniel Cadieux
05-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Nice flight pose, and good comp. You could selectively sharpen the face more, it looks a tad soft as presented (especially the eye) I like it's indigenous name ;-)

Arthur Morris
05-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Love the wing position, the light, and the BKGR. Lovely. And yes, the face and eye could use some work. Overall: very well done.

Robert O'Toole
05-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Great image, the wing up and the details are great. The feather detail, light and BG is nice also.

I disagree with the previous comment about the soft face. I agree it could use work but as I can see the eye pupil and fine details in the beak are perfectly visible, what exactly more can you ask for? I would darken the face a little but I would touch the sharpness (with all due respect, maybe there are monitor or vision problems involved).

Underwing is a little noisey but isnt very distracting or severe.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
05-25-2008, 09:10 PM
:confused:Well I just noticed that the image was posted at 12 am by the OP, but edited at 7 am by Daniel so that explains the soft face comments maybe? Would be nice if the reason for the edit was uncluded so I wont waste my time commenting if the image was been reposted. :eek:

Robert

Daniel Cadieux
05-26-2008, 04:44 AM
:confused:Well I just noticed that the image was posted at 12 am by the OP, but edited at 7 am by Daniel so that explains the soft face comments maybe? Would be nice if the reason for the edit was uncluded so I wont waste my time commenting if the image was been reposted. :eek:

Robert

No, I did not edit the image itself. The OP had the image in one post, and the techs on a second so I merely merged them into one:)

Loukie Viljoen
05-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Thank you for all the constructive advice. Robert I have already ordered your CD on the "magic fixing"of images you describe, can't wait for it to arrive, Artie I have also ordered your CD of the book, have had your first book since my EOS 1V days, about 1998, you are all doing a magnificent job, thank you. Loukie