View Full Version : Ruined Bridge

William Dickson
11-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Canon 5D Mkiii
f/4 24-105mm
f/6.3
1.6 sec
focal length 35mm

This is my first post on here, as I usually post on the Avian section. I was at Speyside this weekend photographing birds, this ruined bridge was near to our accomodation in a village called Carrbridge, Scotland. The bridge was built in 1717.

I thought I would try some landscape photography :e3. The lower part of the bridge was lit electronically, and it was dark.

Any advice given will be greatly appreciated and thanks for having a look

Mitch Carucci
11-10-2014, 01:43 PM
A wonderful location and a wonderful, evocative image.

Don Railton
11-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Hi William

I think you did pretty well here, especially considering the lack of natural light... I like the arch framing the water and the motion you have captured in the water. It's an interesting piece of history...You look to have a quite powerful light set up behind the bridge, and it has cast a shadow under the bridge LHS (next to the foam..) which you might be able to soften to an advantage. there is an abrupt change in light here. The bridge itself looks 'flashed' but not sure how you might fix this... I also think you could crop a bit of the top to just above the street lights. well done..

DON

William Dickson
11-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :S3: Really appreciated

Jerry van Dijk
11-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Very interesting scene William and well executed given the difficult circumstances. I do feel that the image is a bit bright for a night exposure. I'm not too fond of the set of bright lights in the BG, which distract from the FG subject. If you do not mind such manipulations, you might be able to clone them out.

Dvir Barkay
11-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Very nice, love the flow of the water. Agree that the lights are a bit distracting.

BenBotha
11-21-2014, 04:28 AM
I like it, agree about the lights and ? reduce exposure a bit.
Ben