PDA

View Full Version : Theme Muddy Tusker

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
One for the theme again. A close up of the tusk covered with mud and highlighting the skin on trunk. Converted this in NIK Silver Efex Pro.
7D
500mm
1/160
f/6.3
ISO 400
Hand Held
I should have increased ISO to 800 and used f/8 in retrospect. Hope you like it.

Ian Cassell
11-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Sanjeev, I really like this treatment including the framing which, IMO, enhances the look. I agree that a little more DOF would have been nice.

Rachel Hollander
11-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Hi Sanjeev- great to see you experimenting like this and it works very well. I would burn the tip of the tusk. I'm not a fan of the border but as with most things it is a matter of personal preference.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
11-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi Sanjeev i really like this , specially the conversion :cheers:.Nice tones and color . very nice sharpness and details .DOF could be a bit more for my taste .
As Rachel i am not a big fan of frames around the image , specially when posted here for critique , maybe different when printed and attached to the wall .

TFS Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Thanks all for your feedback. Glad u all liked this. I too am not a fan of frames but I was just playing with the image in NiK & thought it suited this one..cheers:cheers:

Mark Needham
11-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Nice perspective and tight crop to accentuate the tusk and the sand / dirt. Agree about burning the tip of the tusk and stopping down. For me, the entire image looks a bit flat and lacks strong contrast that makes B&W / mono "pop." Check this out for some hints: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS3KiwKr65Q

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks Mark, will check out that video on YouTube. Thanks for the link.

Steve Kaluski
11-12-2014, 04:41 AM
Hi Sanjeev, like your thinking and composition here, but the DoF just lets it down for me. Probably you may need to have gone to perhaps f/16+???? Might look to toning down the whites/highlights more, just to get a bit more tone back in, the colour toning is a nice touch.

TFS
Steve

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Thanks Steve, will remember to stop down in such situations in future, appreciate all comments and tips.

Steve Kaluski
11-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Sanjeev, I'm only guessing, if time allows then just fire off different DoF's,. At one point for a Land iguana, I was shooting with the 300f/2.8 I went to f/32 to try and get the spines all in, still not enough, should have stepped back. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Morkel Erasmus
11-13-2014, 04:08 PM
I like the framing here, Sanjeev, and I am actually fine with the DOF here as well.
Good suggestions on increasing contrast/pop...toning is nicely done though.