PDA

View Full Version : shoveler stretching

Enrique Patino
11-09-2014, 06:35 PM
taken last week with low light -last light, as you can see from the dilated pupil. I know it is a little dark. I seem to be experimenting with dark images

7D, 700mm, F/6.3, 1/250, ISO 800, manual, HH

John Robinson
11-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Love it !
I tend to go for the more"gutsy "image myself so this suits me fine ! Enough detail in the darks for me too. Great presentation in myview.
Cheers
John

Robert Kimbrell
11-09-2014, 06:59 PM
I love it too, I don't mind the darkness as there is so many pleasing colors. What a pose.

dankearl
11-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Enrique, killer pose and Processing....
Light enough for me, i might just eliminate the highlights on the beak and brighten the head just a tad.
Nice work.....

Karl Egressy
11-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Great pose captured, Enrique. I think it is a territorial display, but not quite sure.

David Salem
11-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I think Karl is right and this is more of a display amongst drakes and is always fun to document. Although I would prefer a brighter image, this one dose have a pretty neat look to it. The lower exposure gave a cool look to the whites and the wing feathers and I like the eye and the big pupil. Well done

Enrique Patino
11-09-2014, 10:44 PM
thanks for your comments...

as far as the behavior, I believe it is simply a type of wing (muscle) stretch ... as I have seen females do that too after preening... and sometimes before takeoff

Ian Wilson
11-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Lovely pose. A tad brighter would be textbook but I don't mind it especially given that you were working in 'last light'. There is a hint of golden light in the eye, bill highlights and on the feathers - it works for me. Well done. Ian

Mike Poole
11-10-2014, 06:15 AM
This may be dim light to you, but in England, these are settings we often dream of!

Great pose and the POV works perfectly. As much as I'm constantly impressed with some of the duck shots on here, I'll take this type of behavioural shot any time over a regular portrait and it ticks the boxes for me, excellent work

Marina Scarr
11-10-2014, 08:45 AM
I was skeptical when I saw the thumbnail but pleasantly surprised when I viewed your image. Love the unique light and pose and your low shooting angle really makes this image pop.

Jim Crosswell
11-10-2014, 11:50 AM
I have to agree with Marina, the thumbnail does not do the image justice. I like the pose, IQ< low light and composition. Very well done Enrique.

Daniel Cadieux
11-10-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm OK with the dim light here...it gives a neat sense of very late day light. The orange reflections on the bill add to that mood therefore I would keep them in. I've seen lone ducks (especially members of the teal family) stretch the same way as here...unless they were displaying at me!