PDA

View Full Version : High Key Scaup - Making lemonade

Randy Stout
11-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Went to the local bird sanctuary this morning, but dull light wasn't looking too promising. So, in an effort to salvage the trip, put on the SB800 with better beamer, and went high key. The wind was variable, so I moved around to find quiet nooks to shoot at. The one real plus was a nice group of migrant waterfowl to watch. This lesser scaup drake came through one of the quiet spots, and gave me a nice head angle.

D4 600VR f/5.6 ISO 1250 1/1000s. I was as low a I can get at that location.

Post: Selective sharpening, 20% crop for comp, local contrast adjustment

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
11-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Very nice image, love to see the color of the head. Nice head angle and eye contact, Randy.

Ian Wilson
11-09-2014, 11:54 PM
You certainly made the best of a dull day. Pleasing composition and nice details on the front half. Regards, Ian

Geoffrey Montagu
11-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Super image under the conditions, Randy. Like that you were able to pick up the teal / green on side of head. Nice use of flash.

Geoffrey

Daniel Cadieux
11-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Techs look good, as does the processing. Super details on the head. The higher vantage point helped getting a good reflection. If anything I'd eliminate a few of the spots on the face's reflection just for a cleaner finish there.

Jim Crosswell
11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I like the sharpness, reflection, details, exposure and composition. I was trying to shoot ducks in similar conditions this weekend which was than ideal but you did very well. Nice image Randy.

mohammad reza shahab
11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
I like the details,composition and good reflection.