PDA

View Full Version : Austrlian Goshawk.

keith mitchell
11-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Nikon d7000
Nikon 300ml 2.8
1/1000@f8
iso200.

A few years ago I got the opportunity to spend a few days at Broome Bird Observatory in Western Australia which really was something else! Maybe. as near to living in the bush that I will ever get near to. My love of the place was not shared by my wife who said she would not stay with me if I paid her a £1000(frogs in the shower and the air conditioning and a few insects).Do think trying to get a shot of the Goshawks was the most difficult thing I have tried to do in my attempts at bird photography, crawling through that ochre yellow dust smothered in factor 50 sun block in the heat at the top end of Australia( our Australian friends will understand where I am coming from)was certainly trying to say the least.The bird where coming to bathe in the cattle drinker trough so it was a case of getting closer every time they got there heads down to bathe.
Did a bit of work in CS5 as this drinker was under trees.

Thanks for looking and your comments on my last post.

Steve Kaluski
11-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi Keith, he looks a bit bedraggled in that pool, like the startled look/expression. I think you have come along way since this was taken, but a tad more space to the LHS would be good although still keeping the subject off set. The colours do look quite saturated IMHO, but you were there, however I think you may have been out with that 'Sunflower' paint pot based on the eyes/bill???? :S3: If so, I might just peg it back a bit and check the masking, but could well be wrong. Techs look good, but I might drop the exposure back perhaps just under a third of a stop, shadows look a tad light? Congrats on the crawl & perseverance in achieving the shot, they are not the most tolerable of subjects.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
11-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Cheers Steve, did think I might drop the colours a bit but must say that is about the colour of the rocks and soil in that part of Australia, but with my new monitor of course I may be seeing different to you, will be interested to see if anybody else as different ideas. Positioned the bird to the left so that I could include the water to the right.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
11-08-2014, 02:46 PM
No worries Keith, just adding my thoughts, but as you say, lets see what others say when they chime in. Good luck with the new monitor.

Alan Murphy
11-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Great work getting up on this scene. Wish you could have got some flash on this image, but maybe in post you can open the shadows.

keith mitchell
11-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks for that Alan wish I dare post the original I could hardly see the bird in the shade of trees and was so excited at getting the shot that what little I new of tecs went out of the window, much appreciated.

Keith.

Binu John
11-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Excellent work, Keith! Love the tones, pose and eye contact! TFS

Karl Egressy
11-08-2014, 05:16 PM
It must be a rare moment to find one taking a bath. Great finding and nice image, Keith. Love the stare!!!

John Cooper
11-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Hi Keith, you've done an excellent job getting within range of your 300mm lens - these raptors are generally very wary of humans!
I love those eyes, and the wet plaumage has enhanced the colours beautifully. great effort for the short time you had to spend in Broome.

Yes I can commiserate with your wife Keith, the subtropical parts of Northern Australia can be a bit challenging :w3
I don't often venture north of the Queensland border if I can help it :S3:

adrian dancy
11-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I think you did well getting close ...a fantastic bird. The colours do not look bad at all to me. An excellent behaviour image here Keith. The bird's left eye needs a bit of attention. The insects are a bonus. Nice work.

keith mitchell
11-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks to you all much appreciated.

Cheers Keith.

David Salem
11-09-2014, 10:30 PM
A unique looking bathing pose Keith. I like the detail and the exposure looks good too. Yes to reducing the yellow in the eyes a bit. The Bee on it looks pretty cool. Well done

Stu Bowie
11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi Keith, love that alert stare, and you have done well with the wet plumage. Exposure looks good to me, and that bee is a bonus. I do agree, toning down the yellow of the eyes wont harm the image.

keith mitchell
11-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Thank you Stuart and David, Learned. a lot by posting this image which I had a lot of doubt about.

Cheers Keith.