PDA

View Full Version : Enough with ISO 16,000...Here's a 7D II Western Grebe for Your Viewing Pleasure!

Doug Brown
11-02-2014, 04:17 PM
I spent a day and a half at Bosque del Apache with my new 7D II, and had a blast with it! I'm really liking having a 1.6 crop body in my bag! The water was extremely calm this morning, and this Western Grebe gave me a nice look in some especially pretty water.

Canon 7D Mark II, 600 mm II, f/8, 1/2000, ISO 500, manual exposure, hand held

Karl Egressy
11-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Finally a nice image within the range of usable ISO for avian shooting, that I consider to have been between 400-1600.
Excellent image Doug, thanks for posting.

William Dickson
11-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Beautiful image Doug Lovely colours and pin sharp Well done

Randy Stout
11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Doug:

Certainly looks good at this size. Wonderful bird, love the pose and quality reflection.

Perhaps a sliver more room below.

Look forward to more from your outing.

Cheers

Randy

John Robinson
11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Good one all around. Maybe a little bit BIF but no big deal.

JohnR

Doug Brown
11-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Good one all around. Maybe a little bit BIF but no big deal.

The 1.6 crop takes getting used to! I've been shooting full frame since I bought the 5D3 and then the 1Dx, and the 7D2 brings the action so much closer to you.

Raybel Robles
11-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Superb image Doug. Lovely colors and reflection.

How is Bosque right now? I will be there next weekend Sunday for a week. My first trip there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Brown
11-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Superb image Doug. Lovely colors and reflection. How is Bosque right now? I will be there next weekend Sunday for a week. My first trip there.

Hi Raybel. It's a little early yet; lots of color in the trees but not many birds. The weather has been unseasonably warm, and the birds have been slow to migrate south. Also there's not much water on the refuge yet. But you should still get plenty of excellent opportunities.

Kester Clarke
11-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Good to see somebody other than Arthur with a great image from this camera :)
I should have mine on Wednesday.

arash_hazeghi
11-03-2014, 02:02 AM
very cool Doug! Nice and sharp with calm pretty water. I might be tempted to bring out just tad more detail from the blacks in the crown. Glad you like this body.

John Cooper
11-03-2014, 02:17 AM
A lovely image Doug, and I'm very keen to see more results of the 7D mk2. Yes the warm tones in the water really make this image pop. Did you have to apply NR to the image Doug - I'm guessing not!

BenBotha
11-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Lovely image. Nothing to add, all has been said.
Ben

Marina Scarr
11-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Stunning image, Doug. Love the pose and the colors. Looking forward to some flight images with the new gear.

MohsenVahedipour
11-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Lovely image with nice soft light & water color and full of feathers detail. Can you find any significant difference between this one & the old one in terms of dynamic range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doug Brown
11-03-2014, 09:17 AM
A lovely image Doug, and I'm very keen to see more results of the 7D mk2. Yes the warm tones in the water really make this image pop. Did you have to apply NR to the image Doug - I'm guessing not!

Hi John. I pretty much always run NR on the BG, and this shot is no exception. But here's a 100% crop of the RAW file without any NR or sharpening. I normally use LR, but since it can't yet open 7D2 RAW files, I'm using DPP. LR applies NR by default, and so does DPP, but here I've stripped away the default NR.

Binu John
11-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Lovely shot, Doug! Beautiful pose, colors and excellent exposure and POV. Hope you'll post some action images soon.

David Salem
11-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Nice clear shot from the new 7D. Great looknig pose on this one and I like the color pallet. The noise looks good to me and the overall frame looks like a great start. I too look forward to some action shots from this new body in your more than capable hands. See ya soon.

Joseph Przybyla
11-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Beautiful bird, nicely shown. The new 7D rocks... welcome to my world of a crop sensor.

Miguel Palaviccini
11-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Pretty sweet shot. Glad you are liking the 7D2 and I definitely look forward to some more shots from that camera in your hands (Especially in flight shots)

Dvir Barkay
11-04-2014, 01:19 AM
very nice with great pose! Maybe a bit more room to the left for him to go into.

Doug Brown
11-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments! It's been quite a while since I posted an image on the forum; it feels good to be back! More 7D2 images to come!

Stu Bowie
11-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Hi Doug, excellent detail captured here. This looks a vast step up from its predecessor, and looking forward to some of your flight shots, especially the frame rate of 10fps.

Al Conner
11-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Doug, I just want to say thanks and that it's refreshing to see an image with typical exposures for us birders.

I have grown tired of the high ISO and 1.6 vs FF debate. I know many have concerns about high ISO capabilities, personally, I could care less about the debate between FF and 1.6 bodies because even with the 1.6 there will be some cropping going on. I rarely have enough focal length. I don't typically go higher than ISO 3200 and that's even rare. If higher, it's because it's an ID shot and will never be posted or printed by me. I think the high ISO group would be better served purchasing the 1Dx and just be done with it and save themselves the headaches.

I've been itch'n to get back to a 1.6 body, but none caught my eye until the 7D2 (The II); it has all the features of the 1D series with 1.6 crop factor. Canon had me when I saw the specs; 10fps, f8 af, 65 xtype AF, weather sealed and **** even gps. My only 1.6 body was the 50D, but I quickly moved a way from it and stepped up to the 1D3. I just want to go back to 1.6 and have a nice focusing system to accommodate my shooting style. To be fair, I never experienced the 7D or even paid much attention to it, so I don't know about it's issues, so that may be clouding my opinion. One thing I know for sure is The II is way better than the 50D from what I've see so far. I will even throw some football it's way.

Mine is on it's way and I can't wait to take it for a drive. I'm happy as long as ISO is good up to 3200, even though that is a place I rarely venture to.

Just One Man's Opinion

Doug Brown
11-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Doug, I just want to say thanks and that it's refreshing to see an image with typical exposures for us birders.

I have grown tired of the high ISO and 1.6 vs FF debate. I know many have concerns about high ISO capabilities, personally, I could care less about the debate between FF and 1.6 bodies because even with the 1.6 there will be some cropping going on. I rarely have enough focal length. I don't typically go higher than ISO 3200 and that's even rare. If higher, it's because it's an ID shot and will never be posted or printed by me. I think the high ISO group would be better served purchasing the 1Dx and just be done with it and save themselves the headaches.

I've been itch'n to get back to a 1.6 body, but none caught my eye until the 7D2 (The II); it has all the features of the 1D series with 1.6 crop factor. Canon had me when I saw the specs; 10fps, f8 af, 65 xtype AF, weather sealed and **** even gps. My only 1.6 body was the 50D, but I quickly moved a way from it and stepped up to the 1D3. I just want to go back to 1.6 and have a nice focusing system to accommodate my shooting style. To be fair, I never experienced the 7D or even paid much attention to it, so I don't know about it's issues, so that may be clouding my opinion. One thing I know for sure is The II is way better than the 50D from what I've see so far. I will even throw some football it's way.

Mine is on it's way and I can't wait to take it for a drive. I'm happy as long as ISO is good up to 3200, even though that is a place I rarely venture to.

Just One Man's Opinion

Couldn't agree more Al !!!

Satish Ranadive
11-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Great show. Excellent image with wonderful reflection.

Regards,
Satish.