PDA

View Full Version : Theme Bison Snout

Steve Canuel
11-02-2014, 02:04 PM
The last thing a blade of grass sees...Caught this bull checking the air for receptive females. 5DMKII, 1-400L, f6.3, 1/800, ISO400, HH, cropped to just over 4mp, processed in DPP and PSE10.

Rachel Hollander
11-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Hi Steve - an unusual image and great thinking. Lots of textures to like and subtle changes of color. It could almost be a face with the nostrils as eyes. The IQ seems to hold up pretty well to the large crop. I would include the top of the snout above rather than cutting it off.

TFS,
Rachel

Douglas Bolt
11-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Interesting! Not sure I like it, but certainly not due to any technical failings. Just not a very appealing view of a bison, to me at least.

Morkel Erasmus
11-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Cool perspective here Steve - my initial thoughts echo Rachel in that I wish the top of the snout was included in the frame :e3
I'd add a touch more contrast?

Loi Nguyen
11-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Hi Steve, one more vote for including the top of the snout. It's nice and sharp despite the large crop. Loi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jonathan Ashton
11-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Great idea if this is cropped along the top I would certainly include more, his Jacobson's organ is working double time, I bet it was a great event to see.

Andreas Liedmann
11-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Hi Steve very good IQ for that large crop .
I like this unusual view of the Bison , but agree a slightly smaller crop would work better .
Nice texture and tones , a bit more tonal depth in 1/2 and 3/4 tones would not hurt the image , i think.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
11-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Hi Steve, first impressions it could be something from 'The Deep' :Whoa!: would be a good quiz question, 'What is it?'

Certainly darkening the top part of the nose to define things helps and also it then becomes more part of the image. having the OOF brown blur on the RHS is a little unfortunate, but doubt if there was anything you could have done. Like the thinking Steve.

Meant to add Steve, based on the posting & techs, crank up that ISO for more DoF, perhaps f/16 camera can take it and I feel the detail would have benefitted. :w3

TFS
Steve

Steve Canuel
11-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. Regarding the crop, I came down this far from up top to eliminate the extra bit of bright sky that would show in the upper right corner if I included the top of the nose. The blur on the right side is the rear end of another buff and that too contributed to my choice of crop. I don't normally shoot these kinds of shots, and to be honest, pulled this one from my "to be deleted" folder to have something to contribute to this month's theme.

Stu Bowie
11-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Hi Steve, this is different, and I like it lots. Excellent detail throughout the image, and great that we can see inside the mouth.

Gabriela Plesea
11-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Hello Steve!

Glad I am not a blade of grass!

This is cool and I love your thinking, a bit more DOF would not hurt though, nice detail and I really like those nostrils:) well done!

Kind regards,