PDA

View Full Version : Little Bull Charge - Mana Pools

Douglas Bolt
11-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Canon 7D, Canon 70-200F4@70, 1/1000, f7.1, ISO 640, HH from safari vehicle. PP: Bridge/CC
This was a mock charge. He kicked up a lot of dust and made a bit of noise as we drove by, but we never felt threatened. Not quite the same as being charged by an adult bull when we were on foot. I have a few pics of that event, but all show Kevin, our Ranger, with a big gun between the six of us and the elephant. As the bull charged, Kevin said, "Get behind me."
You have never seen six adults take advice any faster.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
11-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Impressive image, great pose, the fanned ears, the curled trunk and the raised dust along with the environment really make this image.

Rachel Hollander
11-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Hi Douglas - Nice action and the kicked up dust really adds to the image. The post processing here is definitely better than your prior posts. If it were mine I would reduce the yellows, particularly on the ele, and also back off on the sharpening a bit. There's a halo by the legs. Is this full frame? I would prefer a bit more room below for the ele to charge into.

TFS,
Rachel

Douglas Bolt
11-02-2014, 07:59 PM
This image is FF, which is a treat to work with, compared to having to make heavy crops for composition. Sharpening was with PKSharpening at about 80% opacity. Following your suggestion, I did tinker with the yellows a bit and toning them down did improve the image. Thanks.

Jonathan Ashton
11-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Lovely shot great action/composition I agree about the yellows. Have you tried Smart Sharpen I suspect that will be a little less aggressive.

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Great moment frozen in time, Doug - was this the "driveby agitator"?
The photo as presented seems to have undergone heavy shadow recovery looking at the amount of grain prevalent?

Giovanni Frescura
11-10-2014, 05:17 PM
I like the shoot and composition ; did you try in b/n ?

Douglas Bolt
11-11-2014, 06:38 PM
I like the shoot and composition ; did you try in b/n ?

Not yet. I'm having enough trouble finding time to do the initial adjustments. I do like B&W, so I'll see what NIK does to several of the ele pics.

Douglas Bolt
11-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Great moment frozen in time, Doug - was this the "driveby agitator"?
The photo as presented seems to have undergone heavy shadow recovery looking at the amount of grain prevalent?

As I recall, you were driving when this guy kicked up the dust. I also recall thinking, "Would you please step on it a bit!"
Yes, I'm sure I used shadow recovery.