PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Creek

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2014, 06:50 PM
This small cascade was a newly discovered woodland waterfall that I came across while photographing along the Georgian Bay Rugged Hiking Trail. I am looking forward to exploring this area this coming winter, which I guess began today as we had our first dusting of snow this morning.

I played around with various ISO settings to achieve the right blurred effect on the river.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 25mm
ISO 400
f16 @ 1.3 seconds
Nikon Neutral Polarizing Filter

Look forward to comments.

Dvir Barkay
11-02-2014, 01:51 PM
very nice Andrew, I like the way the water flows from the right hand side and then takes over the frame at the bottom. Colors are nice as well with no casts that I can see, so overall very nice :cheers:

Norm Dulak
11-02-2014, 05:08 PM
A beautiful scene, Andrew. The rushing water contrasts with the quiet pool on the left side. And the colors and textures in the woods are striking. My only nit is that I find that the expansive, blurred water in the foreground is so pervasive that, if it were mine, I might crop a little off the bottom. I think that might better balance the image.

Don Railton
11-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi Andrew

Beautiful scene, love the comp and the colour. Very envious.... I see either noise or a little too much sharpening as it has a grainy look to it.. An alternative crop could be just above the standing wave LLC (along the lines of Norms suggestion..) but I don't mind it as it is...

regards

DON

Luis Patacao
11-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Andrew, very pleasing image, the colors and the exposure time chosen are very nice. Also agree with Don to crop a bit of the bottom, the wave distracts from the lovely water flow.

Hazel Grant
11-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Glad you plan on visiting here again because I can see it as a wonderful winter scene also.

Andrew McLachlan
11-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks folks for the comments, they are much appreciated. The little water blur in the lower left corner is the result of the river hitting the opposite bank. I could not frame the comp without it as I would have incorporated too much white sky poking through the trees and framing tighter would have lost elements I wanted in the frame. Ideally I should have had my hip waders and stood in the flow...will do that next year.

Diane Miller
11-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Lovely! I like the use of wide angle! I really like the detail in the LR, which would be lost by a crop, but if it were me I would try some cloning to bring the flow lines into the leading edge of the standing wave area in the LL.

Don Lacy
11-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Andrew, love the flow and sense of movement in the image, well done

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Very nicely done Andrew! :cheers:
I might take down a hint of the yellow saturation, to bring out more detail in the foliage?

Andrew McLachlan
11-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks Diane, Don & Morkel, much appreciated