PDA

View Full Version : looking glass rock nc

stuart wanuck
11-01-2014, 01:43 PM
nikon d 800
m 1/250 @ 8

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi Stuart, love the rock formation. I'd prefer this scene with the shadowed foreground cropped out and would recommend revisiting the RAW capture to see if you can recover the blown highlights in the clouds.

stuart wanuck
11-02-2014, 11:06 AM
revisited image dark bg purposeful to provide good foreground for view of rock and no highlights blown on my computer

Dvir Barkay
11-02-2014, 01:50 PM
nice shot, there is a bit of an HDR look to it, not sure if its the amazing DR of the D800 that is doing that. There is a bit of a halo around some of the rocks and as well as blues in the shadows.

Don Railton
11-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Stuart

This image is a lot better than the posting you made on the 'other ' site, but I still think it has some remnants of the problems noted there, and I do think the image is worth getting right... The clouds have patches of no detail, and while they now are not at 255 and so will now not be reported as 'blown', I think they were either at capture or during some part of the subsequent processing. Hopefully you shot in RAW and if so there maybe opportunity to recover some/all of this. I also think there is still a trace of the magenta cast visible on the rock, especially on the shadow side. finally I agree with Dvir about the halos, and my guess this is due to indifferent masking during the colour correction you have done. I say this because there is visible magenta tinge to the halo just above the ridgeline in the immediate foreground, and also above the ridgeline at the rock. It's a bit of a witness to your processes...

My suggestion assuming you did shoot in RAW is to adjust the colour balance at the RAW conversion stage (in ACR if you use PS) using the dropper tool to check the colour balances before conversion. You could also use the gradient tool to allow you to lighten the FG without blowing the clouds at the same time, and you could also apply a 2nd gradient to lighten the trees LLHC if you like. All these adjustments are done without masking so no halos... Happy to help if you need it..

DON

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2014, 05:53 AM
A nice view and scene for sure. The image has the appearance to me of overuse of shadow/highlights adjustments - I think it would be more natural if you use dodge/burn in selective areas to balance the exposure out. I also agree with the crop suggestion above...