PDA

View Full Version : Hermes and the infant Dionysus

Dvir Barkay
10-29-2014, 11:47 AM

A world renowned sculpture of Hermes and the infant Dionysus in the Olympia Museum.

Sony A77, Sony 16-50@50mm, 1/80s, F/6.3, ISO 1000, Olympia in Greece, 2014

Dave Mills
10-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Nice shot of someone elses art....

Dvir Barkay
10-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Nice shot of someone elses art....

Thanks, although if we put it in certain perspectives, nature is Earths art so to speak, so in the end, all photography is putting "others" art into our own perspective.

Dave Mills
10-30-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't look at nature as being an "other" Another artist is an "other"
Unless an image is creatively done of someone elses work (which makes it their own) I look at is a copy of some elses art.
Just my opinion....

Dvir Barkay
10-30-2014, 12:20 PM
ok question for you then, what would you consider this? http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/123933-A-Porpoise

Dave Mills
10-30-2014, 12:32 PM
You did a good job with the technicals (B&W conversion,sharpness,backround etc) but IMO it's still a representation of someone elses art.

Dvir Barkay
10-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Ok so what if one gives something that someone else made a perspective that is wholly unique to the shot and not a perspective that a person would see in real life unless they would try to copy the perspective, isn't that creating a new perspective with something that is already there like all other photography? Or is your argument purely based that you do not think it is "art" if the subject has anything to do with being man made?

Dave Mills
10-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Dvir, I feel your putting words in my mouth...Being "man made" is not the issue. It's another persons art thats being copied photographically is the issue. However, in my original statement I said that if an image is creatively done of someone elses work that can make it their own.Obviously creatively is in the eyes of the viewer. In the 2 images you posted IMO were nice representations of other artists work.
My opinion...you can accept or reject...

Dvir Barkay
10-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Ok well, lets agree to disagree on the matter at hand. Its subjective, I obviously have a more broad if eclectic view of art in general and thus incompatible to yours. But to each his own.

Hazel Grant
10-31-2014, 10:21 PM
Not sure what the big deal is. It is, as Dave said, "a nice shot" of whatever you define it as. Didn't know we had to post only "fine art" here.

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Hi Dvir, an interesting sculpture and well photographed representation of your travels. It almost has a sepia look to it. Thanks for sharing.

Dvir Barkay
11-04-2014, 02:00 AM
Hi Dvir, an interesting sculpture and well photographed representation of your travels. It almost has a sepia look to it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Hazel and Andrew for the reply, the light is a bit yellowish in the room that its located so that is why its got a warm tone to it.