PDA

View Full Version : Gone to seed 2

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Greetings. Similar treatment as earlier "Gone to seed". I'm liking the colored pencil preset in Topaz Impression as a starting point for a multiply layer. Not exactly painterly, er, pencily?

The IE version will look a bit oversaturated and red. Firefox version best.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Jackie Schuknecht
10-29-2014, 11:38 AM
I like this one a lot Michael. It seems to gently flow from left to right and nice gradation in tones from the top, light to dark. I thought maybe the horizontal piece in the LLC was a bit out of place but it echoes the other two in the piece which are almost vertical. Love the processing.

Nancy Bell
10-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Very cool! Totally love the pencil effect and the red/orange colors. Great composition with the vertical squiggly lines of the seeds coming in from both the top and bottom, meeting with the darker tips in an implied horizontal line. Just the right amount of chaos vs. order, clarity vs. abstract. Well done!

Dennis Bishop
11-01-2014, 10:36 AM
The texture and movement in this are wonderful. There's even a nice contrast in texture -- as well as contrast and tonality -- from top to bottom. It's definitely a good application of the colored pencil effect.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Jackie, Nancy, Dennis,

Thanks much for your comments. They are much appreciated. Topaz Impression just had an upgrade and they added what looks like another 20 or so presets to play with. I was happy to find this seed layout from a cone like flower that aged on its side and opened up side to side giving the alignment of seeds. It reminded me of a Andy Goldsworthy piece where he arranged natural materials along a line similar to the image.

Anyway, finding Impression works well with floral and landscape subjects, but I'm having less success with portraiture to my taste.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Dennis Bishop
11-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Thanks for mentioning Andy Goldsworthy. I hadn't heard of him before.

Anita Bower
11-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Lovely effects, which work really well with this image. Yes, it does look like you created it with colored art pencils. Lovely line, pleasing composition, excellent colors.