PDA

View Full Version : Processionary caterpillars

Steve Kaluski
10-28-2014, 03:46 AM
Hi Steve & Jonathan, thought I would dip my toe in this arena with this image of Processionary caterpillars that stretch across the track whilst we were out on an afternoon game drive. Whilst on the tracks you had to drive around them, but often we would spot them in large clusters on shrubs & bushes. Not wishing to stay to long out of the vehicle for 'obvious' reasons, but thought the overhead view was better than low level. Probably the shadow should be on the lower half, but liked the idea of the lead caterpillar heading down, not up.

Steve

Subject: Processionary Caterpillars (Anaphe reticulata)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/320s at f/11 ISO800
Original format: Portrait, rotated/cropped for presentation.

Steve Maxson
10-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi Steve. What an interesting behavior! One would assume this has a survival advantage. Maybe a long line resembles a larger organism (like a snake?) and deters some predators. Then one wonders where the first one is heading. :S3: Apparently, someone once did an experiment where they placed a group of these (maybe a different species with similar behavior) head-to-tail in a circle and each kept following the one in front of it endlessly in a circle for 7 days until they died of starvation.
Anyway - back to the photo. Nice job getting everything sharp and within your DOF. Good exposure - the bright "hairs" look white, but not blown. Without seeing both versions, I think I prefer the shadow behind the subjects - as presented. And I agree that the lead caterpillar looks better heading down (toward us) rather than up (away from us). Well done!

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Hi Steve - yes this works for me too! It has a novelty factor and I think the shadow is a bonus. I am not too sure how you feel about a little cloning or patching etc to contain the caterpillars so there is a border of red sand around them?

Steve Kaluski
10-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Interesting Steve and appreciate the info, shame they died though.

If memory serves me correctly, however Rachel may correct me, but if one changed direction and turn back, they all would follow, a bit like Wildebeest. Still trawling through images & Processing, but I may have some more, but in a different context so will share, should get that 2.8 macro lens out and swing by more often. :S3:

Hi Jon, it all depends on the amount and more importantly, how it changes the image. A little unclear about your thoughts, however please feel free to have a go and illustrate the point. :w3

Jonathan Ashton
10-29-2014, 03:56 AM
Interesting Steve and appreciate the info, shame they died though.

If memory serves me correctly, however Rachel may correct me, but if one changed direction and turn back, they all would follow, a bit like Wildebeest. Still trawling through images & Processing, but I may have some more, but in a different context so will share, should get that 2.8 macro lens out and swing by more often. :S3:

Hi Jon, it all depends on the amount and more importantly, how it changes the image. A little unclear about your thoughts, however please feel free to have a go and illustrate the point. :w3
Ok Steve I was thinking along these lines:-

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2014, 04:02 AM
Hi Jon, now I'm with you, well timed as i'm just shutting down, heading north to shoot.

I can see what you mean about adding the soil etc, but for me, not having the line & being truncated doesn't quite emulate the 'procession' part, this line ran a good 2.5m and more into the bush.

Cheers

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Steve - definitely a sighting I had not had in my other trips. You captured this well. And yes, you are correct in recalling if one switched direction then they all did. In fact, I seem to recall that this what happened here resulting in the double line. The lead caterpillar got all the way across the road and then turned back for some reason and all the others followed.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks Rachel, I will, when I have time look at the one we found on the bush early in the morning, can you remember what Dean said why the grouped and did they emit something to prevent birds eating them??? Sorry it's been a very long drive today 4.5 hrs rather than 3. :Whoa!:

Ron Conlon
11-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Love the photo, and the biology.

Andreas Liedmann
11-04-2014, 04:32 AM
Hi Steve , unusual for you :t3, as far as i know , but very good to see you wonder around with open eyes .Or have you been bored by waiting at a location or you followed a spur and stumbled over them :bg3:.

I like the image design as presented with stunning detail and gorgeous colors .

Good job , Maestro

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
11-05-2014, 04:40 AM
LOL, never get bored Andreas, just too much to shoot, however nice to stretch ones 'legs' occasionally, but this was a nice moment and I have not seen this before, so a win win situation. :cheers: