PDA

View Full Version : Predaceous diving beetle larva

Steve Maxson
10-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Recently, John posted an image of one of the smaller predaceous diving beetle species (Family Dytiscidae, Acilius sp.). This is the larva of one of the Acilius species from Minnesota. This species has relatively small mandibles for a Dytiscid larva and it spends more of its time swimming in open water where it probably finds small prey items. 2.5 gal aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/160, f/16, ISO 100, 2 radio-triggered 430EX flashes (diffused). I removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran NR on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

John Robinson
10-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Good stuff Steve
Like the way the subject "pops" Bladderwort again ??? Maybe a little more separation would have helped but no big deal
John

Steve Maxson
10-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks John. Yup - bladderwort. it's common around here and is one of my favorite aquarium props. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
10-28-2014, 02:11 PM
As usual perfect job on lighting with flashes, very nice details and sharpness and well composed. Just wishing the head not overlapping the plant stem...but I can imagine that this kind of images are hard to get so this is a very nice image.

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Steve this is another peach of a shot, hoping to get round to some similar stuff myself pretty soon, just got to get a flash sender and 2 receivers.

Ron Conlon
11-01-2014, 07:01 PM
As pointed out, a less busy background behind the head would have helped. But I love this. Thanks for taking us into the freshwater world and showing its beauty.