PDA

View Full Version : Hudsonian Godwit

gail bisson
10-27-2014, 05:58 PM
It has been rainy and cloudy for a week now in Cape Breton as Hurricane Gonzalo brushes the coast.
I was "shack wacky" yesterday so went for a drive to scout out new locations with no expectation of finding anything. All I found were a couple of blue jays and lots of crows, so I went back to my usual spot.
I had brought my camera "just in case" but had no waders or boots. Just a nice pair of cords and a new sweater.
As I walked the beach I spotted this godwit- a great find for our area. I photographed it while squatting but couldn't get low enough so took the plunge and went into the wet mud and sand. I was absolutely filthy and ruined my shoes but still thrilled at finding this lifer! This shot was taken while I squatted so it has a higher POV that usual for me.
Canon 1Dx, 600mm and 1.4x ISO 800 SS 1/800 F 6.3
PP: crop, sliders in LR, NR to BG, boosted saturation by +7 and contrast by +5, DE at 4% to bird and USM to JPEG, cloned some grasses out
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

arash_hazeghi
10-27-2014, 06:20 PM
I like the details, HA is good, wish for a catch light though. the OOF pickle weed doesn't quite work for me, it's a bit distracting

TFS

Joseph Przybyla
10-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Beautiful image, a reflection of your dedication to do what is necessary. The composition really shows off the bird, lovely colors and background. Thank you for sharing.

dankearl
10-27-2014, 08:26 PM
I like the habitat inclusion but it does need to be a bit more in focus to work here I think.
The bird looks great, and the BG is really nice.

Jim Crosswell
10-27-2014, 08:40 PM
I like the HA, IQ, details and composition. Congratulations on your finding a lifer Gail.

Ron Conlon
10-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Love the look, the background, the colors, the detail, the composition.

David Salem
10-28-2014, 01:54 AM
Sorry about the loss of your shoes but the frame looks pretty nice:S3: The puffed out feathers really adds allot to the frame and the techs and details look perfect. I like the habitat in the FG and the BG.
Nice work and congrats on this lifer Gail.

Marina Scarr
10-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Pleasing habitat capture, Gail. You really managed to breathe some life into this bird.

Grace Scalzo
10-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Nice find, Gail. I love the remnants of his fading glory around the base of his beak. I like the habitat and the splashes of color. Having looked at this a few times, I feel as if you need more room at the bottom . If you mentally see the entire legs, the feet would be quite close to the bottom of the frame. Moving him up a bit would also reduce the angle . (I hope that I am explaining this correctly!) What do you think? And toss an old pair of wellies in the back of your car for future great finds in the mud. :w3

Shawn Zierman
10-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Nice wide field of view, especially with that much focal length...great low angle work..way to commit!... I find this species to be fairly skittish as far as shorebirds go...I think you did really well composing a great frame with what you had to work with. imo, the grass to the left of the bird is very cool!

Stu Bowie
10-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Hi Gail, lovely pose and HA, and I really like the ruffled feathers. The Godwit is tack sharp, and I likethe BG too. Congrats on your lifer.

How many sleeps until your trip to Botswana :w3

gail bisson
10-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Hi Stuart!
Only 2 more sleeps!!
Gail

Mike Poole
10-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Great shot Gail, the entire setting works perfectly for me, it breaks a lot of the usual 'rules' for composition and is all the better for it