PDA

View Full Version : Theme Female Big Horn Sheep Portrait

Loi Nguyen
10-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Image taken a couple of weeks ago in Yellowstone National Park.

5D3
70-200f2.8 @ 120mm
1/320
f8
ISO-1600
HH

Cropped left, removed one distracting stick that bisects the horn in the BG.

Heading out to Bejing for work in a couple of hours, but tried to get an image into this month theme.

Thank you for your comments.

Loi

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Lovely portrait with great eye contact and details on the head, nice colors and comp.

Rachel Hollander
10-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi Loi - nice portrait with good sharpness and detail. You must have been close to almost fill the frame at 120mm. I think there's a slight magenta cast to the sheep's coat. Have a safe trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
10-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Nicely detailed profile view Loi. The clear spot in the BG really helps the horns stand out. I too see a slight cast but find it present in most of my own shots of these animals.

Steve Kaluski
10-28-2014, 05:19 AM
Hi Loi, good to get a cooperative animal and one that stood still for a while.

Just looking at the crop, perhaps as an option a 3x2 (portrait) format may also work, allowing for a hint more above,and certainly more below? I also feel that having more of the 'green' environment behind the top of the head would have been better, any option on slightly moving to your left? Adding a % mid tone brings out a bit more, but I think darkening the white of the nose and perhaps some more colour in the eye would help too. I would also explore at getting more detail & definition out of those horns, safe trip.

TFS
Steve

Loi Nguyen
10-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi Rachel, I saw the magenta cast too and wondered what that "pinky" color doing. Her in the rP, I took down the magnate in Hue/Sat by -50.

Steve, here is a near FF version, just took off a sliver to the left in a 4X3 format. too much dead space for me with a 3X2. Also applied a small amount of Nik on the horn, eye, and nose (and darkened the nose a touch).

I like it much better.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

Loi

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi Loi away so viewing on the MacBook so not ideal. Certainly looks better, but agree, too much dead space in front, my thought was if you had shot vertical. :w3