PDA

View Full Version : my first try at macro

Enrique Patino
10-26-2014, 09:43 PM
This is first try at macro. Windy and cloudy day did not help... Please be gentle! :)

7D, 100mm, 1/250, f/14, ISO 3200, got creative with my speedlite, hh, cropped to vertical from horizontal.

Diane Miller
10-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Very nice! You got action in the diagonals, and very nice detail with a lovely BG. Would love to see more!

John Robinson
10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Great first attempt Enrique.
Just a piy about the rear legs but still a great image.
JohnR

OvidiuCavasdan
10-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Good subject but difficult job in windy/cloudy conditions, still sharp where it needs to be, maybe a bit more contrast on the body will help. Keep them coming.

Steve Maxson
10-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Hi Enrique and welcome to the Macro forum! No need to be gentle as this is a strong image. :S3: This turned out quite well for ISO 3200! You have good sharpness where you most need it and I like the diagonal of the web and the clean background. You might try some selective brightening on the lower half of the abdomen and you might also consider moving the spider a bit farther to the right in the frame (this is minor and pretty subjective). I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!

Jonathan Ashton
10-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Enrique this is pretty good, the main problem with subject like this is DOF. The simple anser is not to get quite so close - the DOF decreases with increasing magnification, the converse of course is also true.

Phill Luckhurst
01-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Really nice for your first attempt, I wish mine was that good.

I've been experiments over the years with angles that allow you to still have a shallow DOF but give the impression of more. With these spiders it is not easy to get a low down and from the front angle but if you can it seems to work really well. Just take loads of shots until you get one where the front legs are not obtrusive.