PDA

View Full Version : A Porpoise

Dvir Barkay
10-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Could put this in the wildlife section ;). This is a Roman (or Greek I forget, and no info online :/, should use a pro camera with voice record in museums from now on) sculpture of a porpoise. Its one of the more amazing sculptures I have seen because it represents an animal that you would not think they would have had great knowledge about, and yet, its a very detailed portrait, it even comes with a wave. This is in the museum in Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympic games, a phenomenal museum, that I recommend highly to anyone going there (its also a lot better to see museums onsite as there is much more attachment to what you are seeing to what you see outside around you). I went with a B&W treatment as I think it helps emphasize the texture, I would have liked a bit more room to the left, but I really wanted to include the curve of the back as well so went with this.

Sony A77, Sony 16-50/2.8 at 28mm, F/4, ISO 1000, 1/60s lucky I have in body stabilization as no tripods allowed, Olympia in Greece, 2014

Wendy Kates
10-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Hi Dvir, I definitely like your choice of B&W...the texture enhances the image, and it is quite striking against the black background.

dankearl
10-27-2014, 08:33 PM
It is a nice statue & a nice photo, not sure it belongs in a Landscape forum.

Don Railton
10-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Dvir,

If this were mine I would take a little of the bright overhead lighting off the top of the statue with a luminosity mask.. Nice piece of artwork, pity about the nose..!

DON

Dvir Barkay
10-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Hi Dvir,

If this were mine I would take a little of the bright overhead lighting off the top of the statue with a luminosity mask.. Nice piece of artwork, pity about the nose..!

DON

Thanks everyone, yeah I will take off a bit of the highlights now that I look at it on the rim of the body.

@Dan, well unlike Naturescapes there is one forum for landscapes, Travel, and Cityscapes on here, and this just so happens to be under the Travel overhead, so I don't really see the problem.

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi Dvir, shame about the nose, but a beautiful sculpture all the same. I like the B&W conversion for this image and the dark background makes it stand out nicely. And yes due to the travel aspect this image is best suited in this forum.

Dvir Barkay
11-04-2014, 02:01 AM
Thanks all for the comments.