PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy Eyes

Morkel Erasmus
10-26-2014, 05:59 PM
I love being able to make a photographic opportunity out of something that many people will dismiss or drive by. This Verreaux's Eagle Owl was sleeping in a tree in the northern reaches of the Kruger National Park in South Africa, back in August of 2011. It was my first proper sighting of this owl in Kruger, as I normally find them often in the Kalahari.
What do you think of this one? :bg3:

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f4.0 | 1/500 SS | ISO-200

Marina Scarr
10-26-2014, 08:10 PM
You really made lemonade out of lemons here, Morkel. This is a terrific, unique B&W, and it has inspired me to look beyond the next time I am in the field and feel I don't have anything special before me. Thank you for that wake up call. I am curious as to how long you worked on post processing an image such as this please.

Miguel Palaviccini
10-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Morkel, your BW conversions are just too good! I notice that you use the entire range from white whites to black blacks. I'm with marina about knowing a bit more about your PP. it's those midtones that you nail so well!

dankearl
10-26-2014, 08:29 PM
I like this a lot, Morkel, A film Noir Owl.
Excellent B & W processing, and the comp is really nice.

Loi Nguyen
10-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Hi Morkel, yes most people would not have spent time working on this image, but you have made the most out of it. Love the sleepy look here, like an ancient figure stooping over. Your B&W PP is excellent. The bG was not ideal, but you did what you could. TFS. Loi

Morkel Erasmus
10-27-2014, 12:15 AM
You really made lemonade out of lemons here, Morkel. This is a terrific, unique B&W, and it has inspired me to look beyond the next time I am in the field and feel I don't have anything special before me. Thank you for that wake up call. I am curious as to how long you worked on post processing an image such as this please.

Thanks Marina. I actually stumbled across the RAW image while cleaning up files from this trip, and remembered taking a moment to photograph this owl.
I didn't spend even 10 minutes on the processing :e3

Morkel Erasmus
10-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Morkel, your BW conversions are just too good! I notice that you use the entire range from white whites to black blacks. I'm with marina about knowing a bit more about your PP. it's those midtones that you nail so well!

Good observation Miguel. Too many folks make B&W and they end up all in the greys, with very little in the way of really bright and dark tones. Tonal contrast is everything in most monochrome images, and you have to tweak it to get the most out of it - filtering out certain colours, dodging and burning for best presentation of your subject...:t3

keith mitchell
10-27-2014, 02:55 AM
Morkel it's right up my street, it's relaxed pose and puffed up plumage look great.

Cheers Keith.

Grace Scalzo
10-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Excellent, not only the processing, but the vision. Well done.

Joseph Przybyla
10-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Love your image Morkel, black and white really works well. Great vision in seeing the owl and image, your post processing only enhances. Thank you for sharing.

Richard Flack
10-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Nice one Morkel, cool post processing and lovely pose. Such a cool owl this one. (Inspired me to post another one of him :)). TFS

John Robinson
10-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Nicely positioned and worked Great range of tones too
JohnR

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks a bunch, folks...

Binu John
10-30-2014, 01:48 AM
Well executed image, Morkel! Excellent pose, exposure and tones! Excellent PP too. TFS