PDA

View Full Version : NORTH DAKOTA VETERANS CEMETERY

gary ellwein
10-24-2014, 12:46 AM
When visiting my hometown of Bismarck North Dakota, I will visit this cemetery. My parents and a special aunt and uncle are buried there. I don't know if other veteran cemeteries allow internment of the veterans spouse. The cemetery overlooks the Missouri River South of Mandan, N. D. . As usual, a strong wind was blowing this bright September day. I started with Topaz Simplify BuzSim. A layer mask was used to retrieve the flag detail. A light poster edge was applies and a curves adj. to open up the shadows. The names on the grave markers were removed.

Dennis Bishop
10-24-2014, 08:08 AM
I very much like what you portrayed and the way you processed it. Even though the flags and the grave markers are strong elements which demand the viewer's attention, I wish the horizon weren't so close to the vertical center. I'd be tempted to move the background (the part beyond the cemetery property) down a bit. I like the image a lot, however, just the way it is.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Nice composition Gary, very poignant detail about the cemetery. I really like the placement of the flags and the simple blue bg. I agree with Dennis that it could have been stronger with a lower horizon, but I like it as is too.

Diane Miller
10-25-2014, 12:21 PM
This is a strong composition, and a good story. I'm OK with the horizon close to center here, because the flags are such a strong element in the top half, and the bottom half is very solidly weighted.

I wonder if the outline effect on the distant BG might be softened a little. And as a side note it might make the horizon less of an issue.