PDA

View Full Version : Yawn! and story

Blake Shadle
05-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, I took an unexpected trip out to Ft. Desoto this morning... I'm glad I did! It's been a while since I've been able to get down and dirty and really create my favorite style of image. I've been using manual focus for the past 6 months, and you learn a few things when you do this. The importance of Depth of Field is one, and the importance of good eye sight is another. My eye sight isn't what it used to be (stupid computers ;) :D)... Relying on my eye to manually focus and create a sharp image was failing me.

The images before this series are soft... not out of focus, but not sharp. I was determined to keep working with this subject and create what I felt was a good image. I lifted the 500 (laying on my stomach) to get a better angle, and starting using the green "focus acquired" dot in my viewfinder to determine whether my subject was sharp. At that moment this Wilson's Plover decided to yawn... I was ready. My heart raced, firing 8 frames per second, hoping that my new trick hadn't failed me as my eyes had.

Many know that I'm not typically a "story teller"... but today was a difficult realization for me, and creating this image despite limitations means a lot to me.

Thanks for listening, and looking ;)

Shooting Solution
Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Sigma 500 f/4.5
Manual Exposure, 1/800 @ f/8, ISO 400
Hand held while lying in the sand

Mats Honkamaa
05-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Nice story and nice picture. Its these kind of action-shots that stands out from ordinary bird-photos. Great work!

Grace Scalzo
05-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Blake, a lovely, complete image, love the yawn, the beautiful bg, and the seaweed pile. You work very hard at your art, and the results are evident. I too have been having some focus issues (Age, computers, fatigue,etc.) and rely sometimes on the green dot. It helps me. Appreciate you sharing ... bet your abs got a good workout,too.

Van Hilliard
05-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Excellent, Blake. I enjoyed your story, sympathize with the visual limitations and thoroughly appreciate the effort required to get this special photograph. The low angle and the patience and perspicacity all led to an exceptional image. Keep telling your stories.

Freddy Franzella
05-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Beautifully done Blake! great timing and what a catch! well done!

Ed Erkes
05-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Very nice image! Great action captured! No nits from me! I'm curious as to why you are using manual focus! I've been using manual focus and tripod Live View (zoomed in) a lot recently with macro subjects. I've been surprised at how often the D300 AF is slightly soft compared to manually focusing with Live View.

Blake Shadle
05-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Very nice image! Great action captured! No nits from me! I'm curious as to why you are using manual focus! I've been using manual focus and tripod Live View (zoomed in) a lot recently with macro subjects. I've been surprised at how often the D300 AF is slightly soft compared to manually focusing with Live View.

Hi, Ed! Thanks for the comment. I have to send my lens in to have it serviced so that it will auto focus again. I'm definitely looking forward to having it fixed! :) in the meantime I can say that I spent a significant amount of time this season working with manual focus and have some nice images to prove it :D

Harold Davis
05-24-2008, 07:54 PM
great pose, blake!!! looks fantastic!

Glenn Bartley
05-24-2008, 08:12 PM
What a cool tongue! Great image Blake.

Arthur Morris
05-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Sweet. Love the tongue. Wish for the feet. You might try this with the mid-tones a bit darker. What's manual focus???

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Great capture Blake and the tongue out really makes this wonderful image. Your timing was definitely on the mark !!!

James Shadle
05-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Beaker,
Adjust your diopter.
The autofocus confirmation is a great double check. However I prefer to see it sharp.
Dad

Michael Menefee
05-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow, this is most impressive! I have rarely seen this strong of a yawning shot, it was so good it actually made me yawn myself heh. And thanks for sharing the story. I agree it's too bad about no feet, but still a keeper for sure.

Brutus Ostling
05-25-2008, 03:49 PM
HI BLake,

Very nice. And I am glad to see you also creeping in the sand (or mud). It really get you more intimate with the bird. And I like a story, when it has something to tell me. Thanks for that. And of course, when the bird yawns you get something else than just sitting there.

I wouldn't mind going to Fort de Soto, instead of editing.

Brutus

I also use manual focus, even though I have AF-lenses, and like you I sometimes have to rely on that green lamp. But that is an improvement compared to old cameras with MF and nothing to check it against.

Gyorgy Szimuly
05-26-2008, 07:14 AM
This also my style of image. Lovely background and cool sharpness. :)
How about the sharpness of other images from the series?

Szimi

Blake Shadle
05-26-2008, 12:58 PM
This also my style of image. Lovely background and cool sharpness. :)
How about the sharpness of other images from the series?

Szimi

Thanks everyone, your comments are much appreciated!

Szimi, all of the images in this series are tack-sharp :)