PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo close up

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Taking the opportunity of going a little tighter to get some 'Texture & Detail' from this cooperative Buffalo, although with the plague of flies we certainly didn't hang around too long. I did think about going for a simple B/W or Duotone route, but I wanted to retain a bit more of the colour in the horn, although judging by the colour perhaps not? :S3:

Steve

Subject: Buffalo close up (Syncerus caffer)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 (560mm ext used) HH
Exposure: 1/640s at f/8 ISO400
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop.

Rachel Hollander
10-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi Steve - Great detail and texture. Did you clone out the flies (or is my work monitor that bad that I can't see them). They were annoying. I like the bit of color but would still come in from the left to eliminate the area of bg in the ulc and have all buffalo in the frame.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Did you clone out the flies (or is my work monitor that bad that I can't see them).

No flies on this one, monitor is all good, well not on the head, all 'as is'. :bg3: It was all the ones on the under belly that I felt sorry for, ooh...

Jonathan Ashton
10-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Finely detailed and sharp, nice tones but ......top left corner once I noticed it I didn't like it. I wish the eye ball was more visible, I think it succeeds as a technical exercise but as an appealing image, not quite for me. Just my personal opinion don't take it to heart:w3

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Agreed Jon, thought about darkening it, but left it.

I think it succeeds as a technical exercise but as an appealing image, not quite for me.

Sometimes it a case of trying a different direction, if you want the eye not a problem, but occasionally you have to step out of the comfy slippers and step into something different. I got the shots I wanted and indeed posted one a while back, so it was time for a change. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
10-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Steve, not really working for me personally. :e3
I wish the eye was open, and wonder if you have one with more of the boss, eye closer to bottom left corner perhaps?

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-23-2014, 12:22 AM
Tremendous detail on this one with super sharpness! I like the hint of colour in the image!

Tobie Schalkwyk
10-24-2014, 01:04 AM
Nice detail and I actually like the bit of green adding some color, Steve. Had the set been mine I probably would have searched for one with a bit more detail from the the eye. Dumping a bit from the left to end up in a square crop should still render a nice version without the top left corner.

Steve Canuel
10-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi Steve,
Great detail throughout and nice to see such a close look at the texture of the horn. Nice call on the hint of color and a great job of shooting between flies!