PDA

View Full Version : Georgian Bay Blues

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Another image from the Georgian Bay Rugged Hiking Trail. The evening was a blustery one, but the trees in this bay seemed to be somewhat sheltered. This scene was captured during the 'blue hour' hence the strong blues in the scene. I do wish the fall color was further along than it was, but think few trees that had turned have added a nice splash of color to the forest for some added interest.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 35mm
ISO 50
f22 @ 3 seconds

Look forward to comments.

Dave Mills
10-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Hi Andrew,
The comp is ok but I might have targeted a stronger center of interest. You mentioned it was blustery so I can understand the reeds in the foreground being soft but I would have preferred them sharp. Finally,the image appears to me to be oversaturated. The greens are usually the color that gives that away....

Don Railton
10-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Hi Andrew

The blurry reeds are not working for me so I would suggest a crop just above them at where the rippled water starts... I do like the splashes of red & gold amongst the green although I agree with Dave that the saturation could be pulled back a touch.

regards

DON

Dvir Barkay
10-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Agree with the above, it is overly saturated and also the reeds at the bottom are somewhat distracting. I did a little PS and came up with this (hope that you don't mind me working on the image?) I heavily desaturated the greens, by about -30, the blues by -50, and the Cyans by -60ish. Played with the color balance, moved it to yellow by 17. and added a little contrast to the image, plus a hasty crop.

Diane Miller
10-25-2014, 11:33 AM
It is a bit on the blue side but does convey a cold moodiness. I think Dvir came up with a good alternative interpretation. I do like the idea of removing the FG reeds to let the eye stay on the gorgeous trees.

Andrew McLachlan
10-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the comments folks...much appreciated. I will look at toning down the color to somewhere between Dvir's repost and my original post. In the good old days of film folks would sometimes add a 80A filter to create the 'blue hour-type' of images, that's what I was after here...but maybe went a tad too far :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Hey Andrew.
I agree on getting the blues somewhere between your OP and Dvir's RP - the original blue was highly oversaturated (might have been the case in-camera though) and you lost depth/detail. You can still retain a "blue-hour" feel IMHO by toning down blues in the OP.
I would also crop some of the foreground off?