PDA

View Full Version : Warthog portrait

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-21-2014, 02:46 PM
I found this guy close to the vehicle on the road side in golden light, hence decided to get a tight shot of him highlighting those awesome tusks.
1/800
f/5.6
ISO 400
7D & 500 II
P.S:I am not sure if the warthog tusks can be included in the theme category

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Hi Sanjeev - My personal feeling is that tusks are different and not eligible for antlers and horns (no elephants, walruses, etc, either - we can have a tusks theme a different month). As you said, nice warm light, though I might reduce the reds just slightly. Good detail and textures. Comp is a little awkward but probably due to him being so close and there's not much you could do.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Hi Sanjeev, the nice soft light has created a lovely warmth to the image. Being so close I think a bit more DoF would have been good, but you do have some great texture & detail though. Personally I might have gone tighter just to emphasis that head, loosing more off the RHS, top/bottom, but just my take. I just wonder if you had a bit more head turn to the right, or had move a fraction to the left may have given a better capture/profile? Nice that the tusks are visible and not blown, likewise having the underneath of the snout visible too. Perhaps a small tweak in Curves may just bring out some more definition/form to move the image forward.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
10-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Nice light and tonal contrast here. I quite like the framing as it comes across as pleasing to my eyes.
Might add a hint more LCE/tonal contrast?

Charleen Ratcliff
10-26-2014, 12:24 PM
this is an excellent shot - not the most popular :bg3: but I like the way you have done it!