PDA

View Full Version : Colours of Algonquin

Jackie Schuknecht
10-21-2014, 10:40 AM
I would be interested in your thoughts on this one. I never was very good at blurs, but I liked this one. @ 400 mm 2 sec exposure. The yellow trees are aspens, the red from the maple leaves long gone.

Nancy Bell
10-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Jackie, you are better at blurs than you give yourself credit for! The white aspen trunks provide just enough definition for the yellow blurs of the leaves. And I like the unusual approach by using the diagonal instead of the expected vertical blur. The soft greens and brownish colors help the yellows to nearly glow as well as providing a soft, but varied bkdg all on the same diagonal. Good job and show us more blurs!

Dennis Bishop
10-21-2014, 04:47 PM
You have a great mix of colors, and I agree with Nancy about the appeal of the diagonals. In addition, the offset line of aspens (which I'm guessing you got by shooting from a high vantage point), gives a good feeling of depth.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Jackie,

Greetings. Interesting at 400mm for 2 sec. you must have a steady hand. The white trunks add a nice detail against the evergreens and fall colors. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Jackie Schuknecht
10-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the comments. Dennis I was more or less at eye level shooting up, careful to not get any sky or water in. Michael, not so hard to do when you are using a tripod.

David Kenny
10-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Very nice blur. I would be tempted to crop it into a pano type shot. It would look really sharp on a black background IMHO.

-Dave

Dennis Bishop
10-22-2014, 01:03 PM
. . . I would be tempted to crop it into a pano type shot. . . .

Had I seen it first as a pano, I would've liked it a lot. However, it comes at the cost of losing both some of the feeling of depth and a lot of the vertical, soaring feel that the original has.

Cheryl Slechta
10-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Hi, Jackie, I think it's a great blur and I like both versions. I love the painterly look of the fall colors contrasting with the pale trunks. Do more of them - they're good:S3:

Paul Lagasi
10-23-2014, 07:51 PM
I missed the fall colors this year, nice work, blur is quite pleasing. Its one of those blurs that works, success at blurring takes a lot of patience, that's why I don't do many blurs. :bg3:

I agree with above that a bit of a crop is needed but not at the expense of the tree tops. TFS

Jackie Schuknecht
10-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the comments, I think a small crop from the bottom would work:S3: