PDA

View Full Version : Red deer hind

Jonathan Ashton
10-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 Auto ISO 1000 1/250 sec f7.1. (No NR on the background)
All C&C welcome.

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi Jonathan - But did you apply any blur? The fall off in sharpness is immediate and the bg looks very smooth, making it almost look like the deer is in front of a screen. Nice fall colors and pose. I would prefer a little more room below.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-22-2014, 03:13 AM
Hi Jon, nice image with good HA and details on the subject. I too wish for more room below. Nice soft light as well.

Jonathan Ashton
10-22-2014, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback, no blur or anything was done to the background, it is just a limited DOF.

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Hi Jonathan, I like the pose and low POV gives a nice perspective, but do agree this does need more space below and personally I'm not a great fan of having the rear nearer the camera, but...

Colour looks good and nice to have the head just below the tree line and not intersecting. I can see what Rachel is referring to regarding the BKG, but I would guess that the hind is standing above and that the ground behind, slopes down behind? You seem to like Auto ISO, something I never use, but if it works then cool.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
10-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Hi Jonathan, I like the pose and low POV gives a nice perspective, but do agree this does need more space below and personally I'm not a great fan of having the rear nearer the camera, but...

Colour looks good and nice to have the head just below the tree line and not intersecting. I can see what Rachel is referring to regarding the BKG, but I would guess that the hind is standing above and that the ground behind, slopes down behind? You seem to like Auto ISO, something I never use, but if it works then cool.

TFS
Steve
Steve you are right regards the land. I use Auto ISO because I am so blown aay by the camera's capability compared to my 7D. The ISO setting doesn't really matter very much when it is somewhere between 100 and 1600 the quality is good throughout, I am more preoccupied with the shutter speed and or aperture. Using a custom function it is dead easy to set over or under exposure if required whilst still using Auto ISO.

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Well, the difference should be there considering the cost, chalk & Cheese! The frame rate is great, but unless you REALLY need it, a lower frame rate and thinking about what you are shooting in terms of 'is it walking towards you or across you' and how you set the 'Case' will ensure a better rate of keepers.