200mm
1/320
HH
ISO-100
F5.6

Your comments please...Terry Johnson:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
10-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Hi Terry, I like what you have done with the threshold filter. I tried a surface blur on the bg at 6/63, masked the bird back in, and then did threshold again to simplify the bg, and masked the bird back in. Just some ideas as I thought the bg was competing with the beautiful bird. A fast and furious edit:S3:

Paul Lagasi
10-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Hi Terry...nice composition, I agree with Jackie about the background competing with the bird. Thanks for sharing, a beauty of a bird.

Terry Johnson
10-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Jackie, I agree with your comment about the background. I may work with the background/bird further and see if I can either enhance the bird or reduce the background. Thanks for your rendition...Terry

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Terry,

Greetings. I like the idea but as noted the bg is a problem. Jackie is on the right track I think... The choice I think is between white on black or black on white. How about this approach using a black fill layer then painting the mask? add bg to taste. The quick one to show the idea...

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Terry Johnson
10-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Michael. I like what you did. I will use your approach and see if I can achieve the image I am looking for. Thanks again...Terry

Nancy Bell
10-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Terry, you started out with a great idea turning this into a graphic kind of look. The crane does especially well using the threshold filter. I tend towards the minimalist approach that Michael posted.

gary ellwein
10-20-2014, 10:29 PM
The crane is presents nicely with the initial approach. The bg is an issue. Michael's approach effectively eliminates the problematic bg.

Terry Johnson
10-21-2014, 04:39 PM
I have made a version with the background intensity reduced however, I am not able to display the image as I am not able to attach a file from my computer. This happens often when trying to insert a second image that has been modified based on suggestions from the membership...Terry Johnson:2eyes2:

Cheryl Slechta
10-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Hey, Terry, when you Reply to the Thread do you see Post Quick Reply, God Advanced and Cancel in the bottom right corner? You should be able to click on Go Advanced and upload inside your reply. If that doesn't happen, let me know and I'll notify the powers that be :) PS - I like the ideas that are bouncing around on this image.

Terry Johnson
10-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Hello, thank you for all of your comments. I agree with most of you that michael created a nice background by eliminating the background. I was looking for a more subdued background with the bird more pronounced. I have attached a sample of the direction I would go if I was to pursue further.

Thanks, to all of you for your input...Terry