PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Purple Gallinule

Joseph Przybyla
10-18-2014, 04:29 PM
I captured this image this morning at Circle B Bar Reserve. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/47.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 400
Post processed in Lightroom 5 and Photoshop Elements 10

Miguel Palaviccini
10-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi Joseph, that is a neat pose captured. I'd say that the focus point seems to be on the feet with the head being a bit out of the focus plane. Maybe a bit of sharpening could help bring that back?

Geoffrey Montagu
10-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Excellent capture, Joseph. Like the IQ, head turn, and those feet grabbing the perch. The teal colored primaries are beautiful. Agree with Miguel and would try some selective sharpening on the head.

Geoffrey

Richard Flack
10-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Beautiful detail, light and BG Joseph. I would be super chuffed with this one.... (especially if they are anything like our swamphens who dont like sticking around for photographs :))

Jonathan Ashton
10-19-2014, 07:18 AM
A really interesting shot, I haven't seen this bird before, I like the pose and colours very much.

Jon Rista
10-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Beautiful shot. The clarity is amazing. Beautiful bird as well. My eyes are repeatedly drawn to the legs and feet...partly because they are intriguing in this image, but I think also because they seem sharper than the head and eye.

gail bisson
10-19-2014, 02:27 PM
This is excellent Joe.
I love the clear view and the curved perch. I think head looks OK but it wouldn't hurt to sharpen it a tad more,
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
10-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Thank you all for viewing and commenting. To those who commented that it appeared the focus was on the legs... I use back button focus, I focused on the head/eye and then released the focus button, I then recomposed and captured the image. I think the legs appear sharper for a couple reasons. First this bird has large feet which dominate the image. Second the edges of the legs and feet are hard edges which appear more sharp as opposed to the soft edges of the feathers/head. Thanks again all for taking time to view and comment, very much appreciated.

Grace Scalzo
10-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Joe, I appreciate your comment. If the head in your capture is indeed sharp, then just sharpen it selectively for presentation. The other thing that can help is detail extraction in one of the filters, Nik, MacPhun, etc. Hard to tell from a jpeg but the eye and beak do indeed look sharp, just not sharpened enough. :)

mohammad reza shahab
10-20-2014, 04:29 PM
excellent detail, light and BG .I love the pose and perch.

Jim Crosswell
10-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Excellent image Joe! I like the curved perch, interesting pose, BG and composition.

Doug Brown
10-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Great pose, perch, and BG. Sweet light. I agree that for presentation, some selective sharpening of the head would improve things. A bit more DOF at the expense of SS might have helped.