PDA

View Full Version : Layers of Zion

Dvir Barkay
10-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Went back to edit some old photos, this one happens to be three years old now, and my first trip with a camera. I was in Zion only one day. The main part of the park was way too crowded, so we went to the northern part that was much more quite. Its still very beautiful though, and I remember liking the layers effect in this image. Its a jpeg so it has a slightly funny feel in the rocks, back in those days I only had one 8GB card and no photoshop, so no RAW for me.

A100, Sony 16-50/2.8, F/8, Jpeg, 2012

Don Railton
10-19-2014, 03:58 AM
Hi Dvir

I like the cloud and the concept of layers...but I am finding the shadows too deep and the rocks look over sharpened...

regards

DON

Dvir Barkay
10-19-2014, 10:36 AM

ok newer version, though no blacks were clipped in the original, I slightly cleaned up the blacks.

edit: not really sure why there are two images haha

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Dvir, liking the layers and the strong contrast mono approach here.
The repost looks marginally better but hard to really pitch the two against each other.
Archive trawling is good. There are some gems in my archive that I wish I'd taken differently or spent more time at a location...

Dvir Barkay
10-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Dvir, liking the layers and the strong contrast mono approach here.
The repost looks marginally better but hard to really pitch the two against each other.
Archive trawling is good. There are some gems in my archive that I wish I'd taken differently or spent more time at a location...

Thanks Morkel, yeah I always do that, actually am doing that right now, taking a break from Greece, I always find it hard doing a lot of photos from one place.

Rachel Hollander
10-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Hi Dvir - too bad you weren't shooting RAW because I bet if you had, you could really bring out some more detail in the sky. I too like the layers.

TFS,
Rachel

Dvir Barkay
10-19-2014, 08:19 PM
yeah, but they are actually not blown out really, and luckily I actually underexposed a bit knowing of potential blowouts. But of course raw allows to add a lot more texture and better transitions in things like these.

Rachel Hollander
10-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Dvir - I wasn't suggesting that the whites were blown, just that there is more detail that could be brought out and it is easier to do with a RAW file.

Dvir Barkay
10-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Dvir - I wasn't suggesting that the whites were blown, just that there is more detail that could be brought out and it is easier to do with a RAW file.

yeah exactly what I thought, as you said, RAW obviously would have been better for details, also the actual rocks would have looked a bit smoother because of the lack of jpeg compression, I am actually probably going back to that area next year sometime, so I hope to recapture many of these images, but this time obviously in RAW :)

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi Dvir, this is a very nice scene. For me the foreground is just a tad too dark. I frequently go back through old files too. I find as I learn new techniques and such it can be beneficial to revisit the images to apply the new skills.