PDA

View Full Version : Theme Young Impala Ram

Dumay de Boulle
10-16-2014, 01:33 PM
There is something about this image I like. The almost 3D effect, the soft light and colours and the shallow depth of field. I don't think it will be for everyone but I wanted to hear your thoughts...

Canon 5D MKIII
Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS @ 300mm
AV f2.8
TV 1/8000
Exp +0.33
ISO 800

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Dumay, this indeed is lovely. I like the soft light, the blurred BG, the slight head turn towards you, the catch light in the eye and comp. very pleasing image overall.

Mike Poole
10-16-2014, 03:32 PM
A very simple shot, but a very well executed one. The head turn creates a nice pose and the light is good. Just the right amount of environment for this type of shot rounds it off nicely

Ian Cassell
10-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Dumay, I like this image. Nice BG soft colors and well executed techs on main subject.

Nancy Bell
10-16-2014, 06:32 PM
I am a big fan of trying a shallow DOF, and for me, it works very well in this image. You can't beat those soft colors you get in the bkgd. And with the impala horizontal to the camera & in lovely light, you obtained enough detail. Great pose with the slight head turn and up lifted hind leg. Any more detail in the bkgd and it would appear that a tree was growing out of the back of the impala. Good decision on your camera settings for creating such a lovely image!

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Hi Dumay - one of the nicest impala images I have seen with beautiful soft light and creamy bg. Pose and comp work great. Nice one. Btw I took the liberty of adding the "Theme" prefix.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi Dumay, I agree with Rachel, this is one of the nicest portraits I have seen on here, the raised rear leg is a nice touch too. I know the Dof is 2.8, but did you add any NR, it really is so smooth, not an issue, just asking.

TFS
Steve

Steve Canuel
10-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Handsome guy. I like these kind of simple shots. A nicely detailed subject with a hint of habitat. For me, a nice balance between the documentary and artistic.

Dumay de Boulle
10-18-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the comment's...Steve I did one round of weak NR on the BG, like I do on all of my images.

Steve Kaluski
10-18-2014, 01:40 AM
At ISO800 there would be very little and so is NR really required, I guess it's personal choice Dumay? However, based on the SS I think you could have afforded to drop the ISO.

Still a very fine image. :S3:

Dumay de Boulle
10-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks Steve, it was pretty much a pull out of the bag and fire type sot. I saw the light and the open surroundings and squeezed the trigger. I looked at the original and there is pretty much no difference....but as you say its personal.

Steve Kaluski
10-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks Dumay, I partly wanted to know, curious, plus I do get PM's asking why certain things are shot in a particular way, i.e. techs and so this really helps, cheers matey. :wave:

If I pulled images like this out of the bag, every now & then, I would be extremely happy. :w3

hennieloots
10-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Hi Dumay - Agree with all said. Beautiful light and just an awesome image all around. The POV, BG and colors are striking.
TFS - Hennie