PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Rosella

Greg Oakley
10-14-2014, 08:11 PM
One from a few weeks ago. This is a male (on the right) and a juvenile that is in the process of moulting into it's adult plumage. The size difference between the birds is also interesting. Thanks for looking, Greg.

D800, 300 2.8 + 1.7TC, f6.3, 1/400, ISO3200, flash

One from a few weeks ago. This is a male (on the right) and a juvenile that is in the process of moulting into it's adult plumage. The size difference between the birds is also interesting. Thanks for looking, Greg.

D800, 300 2.8 + 1.7TC, f6.3, 1/400, ISO3200, flash

Karl Egressy
10-14-2014, 08:56 PM
It's a very pleasing image, Greg. Great composition, colors and textures. The flower in the beak of the juvi is a nice touch.

Tobie Schalkwyk
10-15-2014, 12:20 AM
Beautiful bright colors against a nice BG Greg! It looks like the kid is handing his dad a flower! :w3 Nice shot, well done!

arash_hazeghi
10-15-2014, 12:57 AM
excellent work. love the colors, pose and details. Looks like one of them is offering a flower to the other one.

Marina Scarr
10-15-2014, 08:15 AM
OMG, Greg, this image took my breath away when I saw the "offering." Truly a spectacular image with vibrant colors and a heart-warming story to boot.

Sharon Hallowell
10-15-2014, 09:12 AM
The spacing of flowers and comp is wonderful! Amazing shot! Sharon

David Salem
10-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Wow, talk about colorful!! Another calender frame for sure. The flower in the beak puts this over the top. Great work on the setup Greg.

Daniel Cadieux
10-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Looks great, and I can only agree with the previous posters' positive comments.

Arthur Morris
10-16-2014, 08:30 AM
This image is BS. Beyond stunning. Everything is so perfect the background, the birds, the flowers, the exposure, the head angles, the interaction, and that single flower. I need to ask, is this a set-up?

Also, though I rarely see or mention these there appears to be a halo around the top of the head of the adult. Does it show in the RAW file?

Greg Oakley
10-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated.
Arthur, there is a very small halo on the top of the head - it's not on the RAW - so its obviously a sharpen-for-web halo. I find particular colour/tone combinations problematic with halos - especially bright reds against bright greens - but this one is easily fixed, so thanks very much for making the time to comment and pointing it out :-)
Also, this is a setup, with the birds attracted on to the perch which is next to a seed bowl. It's interesting to note that this setup didn't last long at all, as several rosellas took a shine to the flowers, and proceeded to rip it apart!:e3
Cheers, Greg

gail bisson
10-16-2014, 06:12 PM
:5
The colors and the flower in the bill are wonderful.
A perfect calendar image Greg!

Robert Kimbrell
10-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Greg:
Just a stellar image. Looks like a calendar image to me also.

Arthur Morris
10-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated.
Arthur, there is a very small halo on the top of the head - it's not on the RAW - so its obviously a sharpen-for-web halo. I find particular colour/tone combinations problematic with halos - especially bright reds against bright greens - but this one is easily fixed, so thanks very much for making the time to comment and pointing it out :-)
Also, this is a setup, with the birds attracted on to the perch which is next to a seed bowl. It's interesting to note that this setup didn't last long at all, as several rosellas took a shine to the flowers, and proceeded to rip it apart!:e3
Cheers, Greg

Thanks Greg. The set-up lasted just long enough. For sharpening for the web, try Unsharp Mask at 110, 0.3, 0. I do that on the whole image. If you see a halo, drop down to 100 or even 90....

Shawn Zierman
10-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Outrageously good. Riot of colors presented without looking over-saturated. Awesome eye level set up.

Loi Nguyen
10-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi Greg, wow, stunning with a capital S. Nothing else for me to say. TFS. Loi

Julie Brown
10-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Hi Greg. Fantastic framing and exposure. The colors are so vibrant and the light is wonderful. The favorites gallery on your website is absolutely gorgeous. I looked at every image.

Doug Brown
11-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Fabulous image Greg! The color, the behavior, the detail...all excellent!