PDA

View Full Version : GHO Family - Enticing the Baby

Jim Neiger
10-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Southern Idaho - 1Dx, 600mm, hand held, 1/800, F7.1, ISO 800, manual exposure

Mamma GHO used a rabbit head to try to entice the baby to fly for the first time. She flew back and forth with the head in her mouth calling to the baby. Eventualy baby flew to her and claimed it's prize. I considered cloning out the poop, but decided to leave it.

Tobie Schalkwyk
10-15-2014, 12:25 AM
This brings back fond memories from my childhood: discovering owl nests identical to this whilst playing on our mine dumps in South Africa, Jim!

I probably would have been tempted to crop individual shots from this, specially of mom with the mouse in her beak. Nice one, TFS!

arash_hazeghi
10-15-2014, 12:55 AM
excellent shot Jim! I would def. leave the crop as is, which tells a story. the eye contact from the chick is priceless

TFS

Jim Neiger
10-15-2014, 06:26 AM
Thanks, Tobie. I have many shots of these owls. I recently posted one of just the adult with the rabbit head and also a portrait of the adult female. I also have more images to post in the future.

keith mitchell
10-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Jim it's great image as posted but would love to see a bit more of the prey carrying Owl,fine piece of work.

Keith.

Marina Scarr
10-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Super story and what a unique environment (from a Floridian's standpoint) for a GHO nest. Crop looks good and I wouldn't clone out droppings either. I prefer to try to leave my scenes in their natural state.

David Salem
10-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Great looking frame Jim. What a cool looking nesting spot! Nice eye contact from Jr. and I like the rabbit head being offered. The techs and details look great too.
The whitewash is part of a natural scene, especially ones concerning raptors. Nice work BFAM