PDA

View Full Version : The Mara

Katie Rupp
10-14-2014, 01:29 PM
This image is my first attempt at seeing/feeling the wider view; a perspective inspired by Morkel's work which has captured my attention and led me to Wild Eye's Masai Mara Safari last month. C&C encouraged and appreciated. Thanks for looking.

5DIII; 24-105F4@28, F11, 1/640, ISO 160, Manual; A small crop to straighten, converted to B&W in Nik SilverEffex II, dodging and some burning

Jerry van Dijk
10-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi Katie, I like this image very much! Especially the sunrays peeping through the clouds make this one special. I would have liked to have some more distance between the tree and the edge of the frame. Although I like the BW version, I think a color version would be spectacular too. For the BW version, I would try to tone down the highlights in the cloud a little.

Don Railton
10-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Hi Katie.. pretty much ditto to the above. I do think the tree is a bit cramped and I would have fixed by stepping back a step or two and a slight pan left so you had separation between the top of the tree and the clouds and put the tree in the bottom LH third (ish) ie more space to the border. The lightest part of the clouds might be a bit too light.. Its a sweet image though..

DON

Luis Patacao
10-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Hi Katie, very nice "1st attempt". I fully agree with the above and just a little more space from the tree to the left of the image, but overall a strong image.

Andrew McLachlan
10-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Hi Katie, this is a beautiful scene, and nicely converted to B&W too. I too wish the tree on the left was not quite so close to the edge of the frame. Look forward to seeing more of your landscape imagery!

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Nice one, Katie! Love the sense of setting/place here, and the crepuscular rays coming through (which always seem to be enhanced in monochrome).
I agree on the tree, furthermore I would shave some off the top (just feels like a pano is more suited to the scene) and would try and add a hint of a warm tone (like slight sepia).

subramanya_ck
11-27-2014, 12:31 AM
This is terrific. Beautiful contrast and the cloud pattern has created a magic in this picture. Very well done