PDA

View Full Version : Rufous Hummingbird macro

Bruce Enns
05-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Hello all, I saw Artie's post of a Hummingbird shot with a Canon 180 macro lens at very close range and decided to give it a try. This is a Rufous Hummingbird female head and shoulders image made with a Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro with the Sigma 2x converter.

I used my normal post-processing workflow through Adobe Camera Raw and PS including a creative sharpening pass and final Output Sharpening using Photokit Sharpener by PixelGenius. 1/160 sec f/9.0.

Cheers!
Bruce

Forgot to mention...Canon 40D on a tripod, image was cropped slightly for composition.

Maxis Gamez
05-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Hello Bruce,

What a lovely looking Hummingbird. The composition, details, colors and BG are absolutely fantastic. You have a winner here!

Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work.

PS: The Sigma macro is amazing!

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Excellent portrait with wonderful lighting and superb detail. Love it.

Gus Cobos
05-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Great capture Bruce...:) nice colors and sharp details...:cool:

Alfred Forns
05-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Beautiful Bruce !!!! Simple and strong !!! Love this image !!!

Kaushik Balakumar
05-24-2008, 11:15 AM
excellent details & exposed to perfection.
TFS.

Dan O'Leary
05-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Very nice. I really enjoy all the detail of this up close image and the highlights on the bird's back - I'm not sure if that's some rim lighting or just the natural coloration of the plumage at that angle.

Gerard Satherley
05-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Excellent image of a beautiful bird. That macro did the job, superb detail.

Gerard

Bruce Enns
05-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks very much everyone...I've had a lot of fun watching and shooting the hummers. I agree Maxis, the Sigma 150 really is an exceptional lens and doesn't loose much, if any sharpness, with the Sigma 2x. I would love to get close ups like this of the male of this species and the male and female of the Calliope Hummingbird to add to the collection.

Cheers!
Bruce

Arthur Morris
05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey Bruce, Quite lovely with stunning details and sharpness. Amazing with the 2X! Nice BKGR. Glad to be somewhat of an inspiration for this one. I would love to see a stunning male with the gorget flaming...

Bruce Enns
05-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks Artie, I too would love to get an image of the male this close...my only chance came before I really had my backyard 'studio' properly set up, and he sat on the wrong 'stool' at the feeder and was partially obscured...hopefully I will get another chance.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to look and comment.

Cheers!
Bruce

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks Artie, I too would love to get an image of the male this close...my only chance came before I really had my backyard 'studio' properly set up, and he sat on the wrong 'stool' at the feeder and was partially obscured...

YAW. It is a shame that you are not a dues-paying member of the IDTS (International Duct Tape Society). A square inch of duct tape over the holes that you do not want the hummers visiting will ensure that they wind up where you want them, and they do learn quickly. This is just one of hundreds of tips in Linda's High Speed Flash Hummingbird Guide that we hope to have ready by June 30, 2008. It has been much, much more work than either of us envisioned...

Bruce Enns
05-26-2008, 09:01 AM
I did in fact have a piece of tape over the far feeder hole...(which is nevertheless a fabulous tip for anyone wanting to shoot hummers), but didn't yet have the feeder spun into position with two other perches opposite one another (with slightly different background tones) and parallel to the film plane. My perch wasn't quite set up either...so it goes.

I am very much looking forward to the debut of Linda's guide...and I'm also still waiting (patiently) for the announcement of a new printing of your original 'The Art of Bird Photography'. I really enjoyed and learned from your second book on CD.

Cheers!
Bruce

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I did in fact have a piece of tape over the far feeder hole...(which is nevertheless a fabulous tip for anyone wanting to shoot hummers), but didn't yet have the feeder spun into position with two other perches opposite one another (with slightly different background tones) and parallel to the film plane. My perch wasn't quite set up either...so it goes. I am very much looking forward to the debut of Linda's guide...and I'm also still waiting (patiently) for the announcement of a new printing of your original 'The Art of Bird Photography'. I really enjoyed and learned from your second book on CD. Cheers! Bruce

Ah, attention to small details. We leave em just one hole... The original ABP has run into Murphy's Law in spades, but it finally looks as if it is gonna get done...

Bruce Enns
05-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the update Artie...in the meantime we all get the benefit of your experience here!

Cheers!
Bruce