PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Fall Colors

Loi Nguyen
10-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Just came back from a 3 day wolf watching in Yellowstone. The wolves were far away, so no pictures, but here is a picture I like that shows the Fall colors of Yellowstone.

5D3
70-200f2.8 II @ 200mm
1/640
f8
ISO-800
HH

Sitting at Bozeman airport, and PP on my new Mac pro. Hope you like it. Will comment on other images when I get back home.

Thank you for your comments.

Loi

Rachel Hollander
10-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Hi Loi - I really like the fall colors particularly the yellows of the aspens. Nice sharpness and the dof works. When first viewed I wondered if the bison continued to move to the left if you captured any images where the shrub wasn't so high in front of the body. It also feels a bit tight to me. Any chance you shot some wider images? Too bad about the wolves.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
10-15-2014, 09:20 AM
My dream to get to Yellowstone. I would love to see these guys and the wolves. Nice detail and good colours. I like what Rachel says.

Loi Nguyen
10-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi Rachel and Dumay, thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, the bison turned its head away in the latter frames. There is more room top, right, and bottom, but the OOF sage in the bottom is a bit distracting and that was why I cropped the way it is. We had a spotting scope at 30X and could see the wolves and their puppies at play, so not a complete shut out. Thank you for your comments. Loi

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Nice colours indeed, Loi. Cool POV too!
I agree with Rachel's assessment - how about a version with less on top and less on the RHS?

Steve Kaluski
10-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Hi Loi, interesting to see these guys in the 'Fall' colours rather than the heavy, deep snow.

As they won't raise their heads I think you will always have some vegetation obscuring some part, so for me, a bit more below i.e. moving the whole crop down maybe worth a punt? Perhaps also cropping a little off the RHS may help, about 3/4 of an inch to lose that light born triangle in the BKG above the back?

TFS
Steve

Loi Nguyen
10-18-2014, 12:10 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I finally had a chance to review the image on a calibrated monitor. I started from scratch and reduced the vibrance and Saturation to 0. cropped a little bit from top and RHS. No more room on the left or bottom. Hope you like it better. Thank you. Loi

Steve Kaluski
10-18-2014, 02:03 AM
Hi Loi, personally I find the whole comp now a bit long & thin, too 'pillbox', as if you are almost channeling the subject into frame, if you know what I mean?

On reflection based on the two posts, and this is still not ideal, a bit 'boxy', but perhaps something like this, where you still retain more of the habitat and less of the subject? Obviously combining the two images has not taken into account your revisions in part, it's more the comp, although still a bit tight at the foot/below perhaps.

Cheers
Steve

Loi Nguyen
10-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Steve, definitely looking too "boxy". Here is the FF version.

Thank you

Loi