PDA

View Full Version : Theme Svalbard Reindeer

Rachel Hollander
10-14-2014, 07:23 AM
I thought I would mix it up a bit and post a theme image from a different part of the world. Here's a Svalbard reindeer, the smallest subspecies of reindeer. Taken in August 2013. I processed this shortly after my trip and have to think that the color is accurate though it looks a little red to me today.:e3

Canon 5D3
300 II plus 2x III
1/640
f5.6
ISO 1600
Tripod, ff, levels, curves, selective color adjustments and sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-14-2014, 08:24 AM
I processed this shortly after my trip and have to think that the color is accurate though it looks a little red to me today.

Have you tried dropping the Tint a fraction? Might help, but it pumps up the grass a tad, but selectively you try it???

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-14-2014, 09:08 AM
I like the nice soft light, the antlers are awesome, the yellow flowers add a lot to the image, so does the grazing behaviour. TFS.

Steve Kaluski
10-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Rachel, would this get closer, but not going the Tint route and avoiding any other colours being increased?

Rachel Hollander
10-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Steve - not on calibrated monitor now but I do think it had some color so not sure that the op is inaccurate, maybe somewhere in between the two would work.

Thanks,
Rachel

Ian Cassell
10-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Rachel, I don't know about the color because I wasn't there, but your color rendition looks good to me. Good DOF and nice pose of the little guy. I like Steve's eviction of the foreground rock.

Dumay de Boulle
10-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Gorgeous detail and texture. colours do look more natural in Steve's repost. I would personally take some off the bottom.

Loi Nguyen
10-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi Rachel, nice pose and love those racks. Haven't seen a reindeer before, so can't comment on which version is more accurate. The OP had a red tint on the body for sure, but Steve's RP is border on grey/black. You were there, so I will leave it to you to comment on the colors. Loi

Rachel Hollander
10-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks Ian, Dumay and Loi, much appreciated.

Carl Walker
10-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Great image Rachel - Lovely healthy looking reindeer. In terms of Steve's work on the rock I think that certainly improves the image. The rest is your call, as as many here I have not seen them before. TFS

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks Carl. As Steve knows, in general I do not clone, other than dust spots or specular highlights, so the rock stays for me. My personal ethics, I prefer to leave the image as I saw it. I will make exceptions in more artsy shots which represent a departure from what the eye actually saw.

Thanks again,
Rachel