PDA

View Full Version : Georgian Bay After Sunset

Andrew McLachlan
10-13-2014, 07:03 PM
I have spent the last few days up in Ontario's Muskoka Region to photograph the autumn color and to close-up the cottage for another year. On Friday evening I had some time to spare so I drove out to a newly discovered location along the Georgian Bay shoreline, in the town of Parry Sound. It is known as the Rugged Hiking Trail and much of its 5km length presents tons of photographic possibilities. Here is one that I captured after the sun had set.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 18mm
ISO 400
f16 @ 6 seconds
3-stop reverse grad filter to hold back the sky

Look forward to comments.

Diane Miller
10-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Looks like a great find! I'd fix the bow in the horizon, and maybe look at some correction of the magenta -- it could be authentic with the light, though. Lovely shutter speed and mood!

Don Railton
10-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Hi Andrew

Happy hunting indeed..! I particularly like the shutter speed, the FG rock and the overall ambience. I see a hint of noise in the darker part of the clouds and the rock, and I would also second the flattening of the distant shore.

regards

DON

Katie Rupp
10-14-2014, 01:33 PM
A beautiful capture; I like the symmetry of the rocks and clouds, the smooth water and the detail of the small plants on the right.

Best,
Katie

Jerry van Dijk
10-14-2014, 03:09 PM
HI Andrew, not much too add to the good comments already given. I too like this a lot, especially because of the colors!

Andrew McLachlan
10-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks folks for the comments...much appreciated! I do see the slight magenta Diane...the whole scene was originally recorded as very blue and in my removal of the strong blue cast I guess I ended up with slight magenta.
Ditto on the slight noise Don...I noticed this when I posted the image...oops! and will fix.

Cheryl Slechta
10-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Andrew, beautiful colors. I love the shutter speed and the foreground and even the magenta cast to the image:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
10-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Beautiful shot Andrew. Georgian Bay has such wonderful rock formations.

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Lovely composition and moment, Andrew. I agree on the magenta, thought it could have been a relic from the Grad you were using but your explanation of removing too much blue covers it I think.
Would love to see a repost, even the colder/bluer version could be nice! If it was taken during "blue hour", no need to remove the blue IMHO
:cheers:

Don Lacy
10-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi Andrew, Agree with the others on the cast, I would also sugest toning down the bright areas of the sky just a tad more. Really like the comp and lines of the image.

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the additional comments folks. Here is a repost with a little less magenta and a touch more blue.

Diane Miller
10-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Yes! This captures the essence of the cold, wet clouds with the gorgeous sky behind them!