PDA

View Full Version : seal pup

Enrique Patino
10-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Found this seal pup early this foggy morning at a nearby park. I waited for it to air-dry and took this image. Comments and feedback welcome.

7D, 500mm, F/5.6, 1/320, ISO 800, HH

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Superb image, great eye contact, I like the nice look back pose and clean BG.

Andrew Merwin
10-12-2014, 02:59 PM
I get a sense of poignancy & vulnerability from this image. Well exposed with good techs. I find the OOF right end of the log a bit distracting. Well seen & captured.

Morkel Erasmus
10-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Hi Enrique - what a stunning image. Love the low angle, the soft light, the look-back pose and innocent expression.
Would love to see more of your work here, and please do throw your own critiques into the mix on some of the other threads on here... :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi Enrique - Love the look back pose and the unusual setting of a seal on a log (not sure if I have seen an image like that before). Nice creamy bokeh too. I do wish for more dof to have the rear of the seal in focus.

Like Morkel said, it would be great to have your thoughts and suggestions on other wildlife images.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
10-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Yes this works for me a good decision to take from this angle as opposed to more to the left. The back flippers are a little distracting but there's not a whole lot you can do about that, I suspect even f11 would not solve it. The image has a lovely quality to it, I am a real sucker for those sad eyes and the wet whiskers - great shot!

Dumay de Boulle
10-14-2014, 01:33 AM
I love this, great shooting angle and look back pose...Maybe back off the sharpening a touch but thats minor. Very nice!

Nancy Bell
10-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Absolutely darling! Beautiful eyes and whiskers, great "perch", lovely dark mottled bkgd. If the pup stays in the same position you could take one image like this focused on the eyes, and then take a 2nd image focused on the back end. Then combine them in PS, keeping the best focus of both images.

Enrique Patino
10-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks all. These are all good suggestions. I could not move to the left because of the water. It may be a tad over sharpened. I stopped down as much as I could at ISO 800 and HH.

need to sharpen my eyes for mammals and fur instead of feathers... ;)

will visit here more often. Thanks again!