PDA

View Full Version : Red Tail Hawk

Andrew Merwin
10-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Mark iv, ISO 400, f/8, 1/500 +0.33 ev, 500+2XIII on tripod. I cropped it about 40%. Sharpened, levels & curves.

I shot this image in my back yard. The BG is a freshly mowed hay field. After a field is mowed, the resident rodents are more visible & therefore easier to hunt by the local raptors. They frequently use my fence posts as hunting perches.

Based on the red tail’s size, I think she is a female.

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Hi Andrew, anymore below?

Andrew Merwin
10-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Hi Andrew, anymore below?

No. I purposely shot the image to avoid the horizontal fence rail & wire mesh.

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2014, 03:05 PM
That's a shame Andrew, without seeing it, but for me, it's just way too tight at the foot.

Killer BKG and I for one would love to have a BKG like this on my patch. Nice detail in the plumage, but have you done any shadow adjustment on the head? Personally I would crop about half an inch at the top to lose the dark green strip, looks cleaner. If it was me, then I would put a blind up and just wait, this could be a very nice project if you have the time, especially if these raptors use a 'killing post' close by, but be patient and keep any movement & noise to an absolute minimum. If it works out, then gradually move the blind a few feet every now and then, but don't get too close, LOL.

Keep it up. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Andrew Merwin
10-12-2014, 05:36 PM
That's a shame Andrew, without seeing it, but for me, it's just way too tight at the foot.

Killer BKG and I for one would love to have a BKG like this on my patch. Nice detail in the plumage, but have you done any shadow adjustment on the head? Personally I would crop about half an inch at the top to lose the dark green strip, looks cleaner. If it was me, then I would put a blind up and just wait, this could be a very nice project if you have the time, especially if these raptors use a 'killing post' close by, but be patient and keep any movement & noise to an absolute minimum. If it works out, then gradually move the blind a few feet every now and then, but don't get too close, LOL.

Keep it up. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve. Those are excellent suggestions.
No shadow adjustment on the head. Are you suggesting that I do that?

Marc Mol
10-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Very pleasing BG and soft light & detail here Andrew, agree on more lower room and some off the top crop suggestions also.
TFS